Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Conditional colouring on bar number in visualization

Hello fellow Power BI-ers,

My experience with Power BI is still limited.
Right now I'm trying to set up some colours for the bars in a bar graph.

I've got a large dataset, over multiple years. I'm showing the top 5 of costs per customer.

Now let's say my client has 100 customers. There is a slicer for year in place. Whenever we move the slicer, the top 5 changes.

Every year the amount of customers, and the actual customers themselves change. (Names, row number, etc.)

What I'm trying to do is set the colour of the bar not dependent on any value of the customer, but of the position of the bar.
So imagine 6 bars next to eachother. The first bar is black, the second bar is green and the third bar is blue. The fourth bar is black again, the fifth green, and the sixth blue.

I cannot find a way to achieve this. Does anyone know if there is a way to achieve this? And if so, how?

Yours sincerely,
Sorrol

8 REPLIES 8
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

you might consider creating pbix file that will contain some sample data (remove the confidential info), upload the pbix to onedrive for business and share the link to the file. Please do not forget to describe the expected results based on this sample data.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-diye-msft If this is still necessary after the screenshots I provided, I'll do so with the sample data. Thanks for the advice!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous did you looked at conditional formatting, you can create a measure for colors and use that in conditional formatting

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-conditional-table-formatting

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Parry2k,

I did take a look at those, but they base the colour on the value in a row/column.
What I'm looking for is a colour for a bar number, regardless of the value of the y-axis or the value of the x-axis.

So if I make a bar chart with on the x-axis years, and on the y-axis a count of invoices, regardless of the result, the leftmost bar needs to be black, the second green, and the third blue, etc.

So, if I filter 2015-2019, 2015 would be black, 2016 would be green, and 2017 would be blue. 2018 would be black, and 2019 would be green again.

Then if I change the filter to 2014-2019, 2014 would be black, 2015 would be green and 2016 would be blue. etc.

I've not found a way to achieve this through the conditional formatting you linked.

@Anonymous , I did not try this. But have a measure like this

Color Date =
var _min =minx(allselected(Date,Date[Year])
return
Switch( true(),
FIRSTNONBLANK('Date'[Year],year(TODAY()))-_min =0 ,"lightgreen",
FIRSTNONBLANK('Date'[Year],year(TODAY()))-_min =1 ,"blue",

///// Add more
"red")

The idea is to take diff from min selected year and use color grouping on these number

Use this in conditional formatting after choosing "field" option

https://radacad.com/dax-and-conditional-formatting-better-together-find-the-biggest-and-smallest-numbers-in-the-column

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak 

I like this idea. Sadly it only pertains to years.
What I'm looking for is a solution that works for any kind of label. With any amount of bars.

But it's definitely a great start!

@Anonymous I guess you mean data label, it is already good idea to share screenshots, there is nothing called bar labels. If you are referring to data labels conditional formatting, this feature it is not available. Please create an idea on ideas forum or vote if idea already exists.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k I don't remember mentioning bar labels, but that doesn't matter.

Due to NDA I cannot show screenshots. Instead I made some example data and will show screenshots of that. I'll show current state, and desired state.

Current state unfiltered:

Unfiltered Current.PNG

Current state filtered:

Filtered Current.PNG

Desired state unfiltered:

Unfiltered Desired.png

Desired state filtered:

Filtered Desired.png

As you can see, the data label should not define the colour. The position of the bar does.

Is this achievable in Power BI?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.