Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Conditional color formatting - overview

New to Power BI and it seems like there is no real way to do any dynamic color formatting based on a condition.

So if I just want to have my KPI be red if below a certain value and green if above a certain value that is not possible?  If not are ther any work arounds to formatting colors in Power BI based on certain conditions.

I really like Power BI for data gathering and modeling but it seems very flawed in its functionality for creating a good UI experience. I am a heavy Qlik user and it seems like there is so much more front end UI functionalityin Qlik - hopefully I am just new and not seeing all the features.

Z

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Anonymous,

Using conditional formatting feature in Power BI Desktop, you can achieve your requirement. Please review the following screenshots.
1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Standard KPI doesn't allow you to give the range, you have to probably look for custom KPI visual , here is link to KPI with lot of customization you can do with it.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try to see this idea help. https://youtu.be/VIYJ8YM2huQ
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm new on this forum and I hope I'm on the good topic.

I really like Power BI and I would like to show to my team that we should move to Power BI for daily, weely and monthly KPI instead of excel. But we have strict standard for the visual interface for our KPI.

Could you let me know if there is a feature in Power BI to respect the criterias below ? Standard graph or a safe custom one (something official)?

Thank you!

Our KPI shall:

1. Data value (count) : Bars
  2. Objective : Straight line
  3. If value is lower than objective , the bars shall be red
  4. If value is higher than objective, the bars shall be green 
  5. Could be also the other way : lower than objective : green and higher than objective : red

ex: 

image.pngimage.png

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So, the KPI visual has a Target Goals section in the Fields area. Often, you use an Enter Data query to just create your goals in a wide, single row table and just drag the appropriate column into the field. Or, just create a goal measure like:

My Goal = 37

And use that. You will need something in the Trend Axis field, use any column. If you really do not want any trend axis displayed, create a column like:

My Column = 0

And put that in your Trend Axis.

Note that coditional formatting is available in Tables and Matrix visualizations as well. You can click on the little down arrow for a column or measure in the Fields area and choose "Conditional formatting" if it is a numeric field.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback!

So it doesn't look like there is conditional formatting in KPI',s correct?

Z

KPI by default shows green above a certain value and red below that value. Neutral is Yellow by default. You can change the default settings by using the Format area (paint roller icon) in the Visualizations pane under Color coding. You can change what is good and you can change your good, neutral and bad colors.

If you are talking about the Gauge visual from the other post, then it has different options in the Format area. Under Gauge axis, you can just type in your Max and your Target. You can change the colors under Data colors, etc.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks but how can I change the range...like if I want it specifically 0-10% RED, 11%-50% black, 51%-100% green? I don't see anywhere to change the ranges for each color. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is exactly what I want but I do not see this selection for KPIs. What visualization are you using? 

Thanks for the help,

Z

That is a Table visualization.

Latest book!:

Standard KPI doesn't allow you to give the range, you have to probably look for custom KPI visual , here is link to KPI with lot of customization you can do with it.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@Anonymous,

Using conditional formatting feature in Power BI Desktop, you can achieve your requirement. Please review the following screenshots.
1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your suggestion

That solution is  good but not enough.  Because the range values are fixed.  My question is   ¿ Is it  posible that the range could be read it from a KPI parameters table  where we can make conditions using  columns instead of fixed values and some other conditions like dates ? Because some KPIs could be green last year but if I change it  with new ranges when I see my dash board I would need to see green last year but may be read this year.  Some thing like

year-month of sales month  >=      KPI.Parameter.Year-MonthValidFrom  and

year-month of sales month  <=      KPI.Parameter.Year-MonthValidTo       and

avg(sales)                            >=      KPI.Parameter.StartRange and

avg(sales)                            <=      KPI.Parameter.EndRange  and

then 

KPI.Parameter.colorcode

Dou you think that Power BI could have some functionality or some thing like that.  

I will appreciate your suggestions or opinion

Thanks

That solution is  good but not enough.  Because the range values are fixed.  My question is   ¡ Is it  posible that the range could be read it from a KPI parameters table  where we can make conditions using  columns instead of fixed values and some other conditions like dates because some KPIs could be green last year but if I change it  with new ranges when I see my dash board I would need to see green last year but may be read this year.  Some thing like

year-month of sales month  >=      KPI.Parameter.Year-MonthValidFrom  and

year-month of sales month  <=      KPI.Parameter.Year-MonthValidTo       and

avg(sales)                            >=      KPI.Parameter.StartRange and

avg(sales)                            <=      KPI.Parameter.EndRange  and

then 

KPI.Parameter.colorcode

Dou you think that Power BI could have some functionality or some thing like that.  

I will appreciate your suggestions or opinion

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue, for gauges.  I'm a novice, and cannot follow the instruction to "Review the following screen shots." I don't know what the screen shots are telling me to do.  Believe me, I wich I did!.  I need something like the following (I'm making some assumptions about what I THINK the scren shots are saying, but my confidence that I am correct is very low):  "1-Highlight the visual you want to conditionally format.  2-Go into Data View.  3-Click "Modeling." 4-Click "New Column."  Name it whatever you want.  5-... what do I do next? (if 1-4 are even correct).

I have 14 gauges on one page in a Desktop report.  Each gauge is associated with a KPI.  The arc in the gauge gets filled with the Actual result for the period (such as month or quarter), and a target is shown by a line going across the arc at the appropriate place.  I want to fill the arc with Green, Yellow or Red depending on the result against the target, and depending on the Year and Month a User slects from slicers.  A twist is that the target might be different from period to period (for example, the target might be set per month, rising each month to the year-end number in December).

Is this possible?  As I said, I'm a novice, but I need to deliver this.  I don't know DAX, so I need the specific code, where to put it, step-by step.  I realize this is a lot to ask, but if anyone is willing to help, I will certainly appreciate it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.