Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Conditional Formatting using SSAS Multidimensional as a Live Data Source

Hi all,

I am currently encountering a problem where conditional formatting does not seem to work.

Data source: SSAS 2016 Multidimensional cube

Connection type: Live (direct)

Power BI Desktop (Aug 2018 version)

Basically, I want to make negative values to have red coloured font, and postive values to have green font using table visual.

When I go to Conditional Formatting > Font Color, I choose "Format By" = Rules and set the conditions, but it does not work.

The colour did not change.

Is this a limitation of using SSAS MD Live connection?

Any ideas how I can make the conditional formatting work in this case?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

AFAIK, If you use multidimensional data source with live connection mode, it not support to create measure to enable conditional formatting features.

Connect to SSAS Multidimensional Models in Power BI Desktop

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont plan to create a new measure, but using the fields from the cube directly and want to format the font color, but it does not seem to work either.

Limitation or I just dont know how to do it..

Hi @Anonymous,

>>I dont plan to create a new measure, but using the fields from the cube directly and want to format the font color, but it does not seem to work either.

In fact, I can setup conditional formatting on existed fields from SSAS live connection datasource. 

17.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah yes, I noticed this - the conditional formatting works for detailed data points only, not including the Total value.

In my case, I just want to show the Total, but the conditional formatting does not work.

Btw, I just want to show the Total as a workaround because Card visual does not have Conditional Formatting at all.

Hi @Anonymous,

AFAIK, current full conditional formatting features only works on table and matrix. Some of charts allow you to setup advanced color control on data color option to achieve similar bar color conditional formatting.

For enable conditional formatting on specific level, I think you need to add condition to check current level and set up result color on specific summarize level, other result replace to normal color.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.