Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Conditional Formatting one column based on another

I have two CSV files that look like this:

Data

Unit,CategoryA,CategoryB,CategoryC
U1,99,90,82
U2,92,100,56
U3,96,50,66
U4,85,33,99
U5,21,94,100

Cutoffs

Unit,Cutoff
U1,95
U2,90
U3,55
U4,85
U5,90

I load them to a table and combine and display them like this, using the Unit column to combine the two:

Capture.PNG

Now I would like to conditionally format columns Category A through C, based on the Cutoff column. For example, for Unit1, if any category value >= 95, set that cell background to green, and if category value < 95, set it to red. So, my formatted data should look like this:

formatted.png

The available Conditional Formatting options don't seem to help me do this. Is that the case, or is there a work around that will alow me do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous

If you cannot do this, you need to use visual Table and then write 3 measures (separate for each category) that will return the color code.

CC Category A = 
IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table (3)'[Category A]) >= SELECTEDVALUE('Table (3)'[CutOff]), "#0f0","#f00")

CC Category B = 
IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table (3)'[Category B]) >= SELECTEDVALUE('Table (3)'[CutOff]), "#0f0","#f00")

CC Category C = 
IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table (3)'[Category C]) >= SELECTEDVALUE('Table (3)'[CutOff]), "#0f0","#f00")

Then for each column separately (Cat A, B, C) set the background color from conditional formatting section. Select the Field Value from the list, and then select the appropriate measure.

lkalawski_0-1598909295522.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lkalawski
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Anonymous

You should follow these steps.
1. Unpivot Category - put categories in one column and values in the other.

lkalawski_0-1598905626461.png

2. Create a measure that checks whether a given category value is greater than or less than CutOff. This measure will return a color code (red or green).

ConditionalColoring = 
IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Value]) >= SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[CutOff]), "#0f0","#f00")

3. In the conditional formatting settings, select Field Value and then select the measure you created.

lkalawski_1-1598905745231.png

4. The Result:

lkalawski_2-1598905771102.png

I prepared the file with the solution. Please use this link to find it: https://gofile.io/d/Z3szIL

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lkalawski thanks for the quick reply.

While this does seem to get the end result I want, it changes my data structure, which is something I don't want to do. I prefer to not unpivot category as I use it for other things. So I'm guessing there's no way to do this without changing how my data is organized?

Hi @Anonymous

If you cannot do this, you need to use visual Table and then write 3 measures (separate for each category) that will return the color code.

CC Category A = 
IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table (3)'[Category A]) >= SELECTEDVALUE('Table (3)'[CutOff]), "#0f0","#f00")

CC Category B = 
IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table (3)'[Category B]) >= SELECTEDVALUE('Table (3)'[CutOff]), "#0f0","#f00")

CC Category C = 
IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table (3)'[Category C]) >= SELECTEDVALUE('Table (3)'[CutOff]), "#0f0","#f00")

Then for each column separately (Cat A, B, C) set the background color from conditional formatting section. Select the Field Value from the list, and then select the appropriate measure.

lkalawski_0-1598909295522.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lkalawski OK, that worked, thanks!

Although that's a ridiculous amount of work for something supposedly simple. Microsoft really need to add simple features like this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.