Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

benjamincoady
Helper I
Helper I

Conditional Formatting on Tables

Hi, 

I'm not sure if a recent update has changed this but it's become more difficult to create conditional formatting on tables based on a minus value. 

I'm trying to make the background of these minus values in a table red but can't figure it out! It feels like the greater than and less than rule options are the wrong way around. 

I'm probably just being stupid but any help would be great. FYI I've reviewed the help documentation and it didn't really help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @mwimberger , 

I think I solved it, basically it need a text field to reference against. It was weird but once I dropped in the Project field (Text) into the table, all of the conditional formatting came to life. Strange and never experienced it before! 

Thanks for your input though, really appreciate it. 

Ben

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
mwimberger
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @benjamincoady 

It sometimes takes a bit of playing with the settings to get it right, and by deleting the zero in the first box of the custom formatting box ( and bringing Minimum or Maximum into view can help with the understanding of the logic.

Here is an example with some steps to help you with both fonts and backgrounds:

Negative Numbers.jpg

Hope this helps,

Manfred

Hi @mwimberger

Thanks for taking the time to produce that detailed answer, it's much appreciated. So, I had no problem when the rule sets were set up like yours. I completed an update a few weeks ago and mine now look like this:

Capture.JPG

My rule fields look very different to yours! Any idea?

Cheers!

Hi @benjamincoady 

If you want the min value for each group to show red background, you could create measures and use the measure in the conditional formatting.

Capture1.JPG

min = CALCULATE(MIN('Table'[production]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[name]))

flag = IF(MAX('Table'[production])=[min],1,0)
Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi both @mwimberger @v-juanli-msft , 

I've just done another update and mine is still completely different from both of yours, I don't even have the number field that @v-juanli-msft has. 

Capture.JPG

Do you think it's worth doing a full uninstall and reinstall? Can't understand why it would be so different. 

Thanks for your continued help! 

Hi

So I doubt a reinstall will do anything. I would check the field you are trying to get the formatting for isn’t set to mixed text and numbers or maybe text . It may trip it up in this case.
You can set this in the modelling tab or in the Power Query step.

Cheers

Manfred

Hi @mwimberger ,

Just checked, the values are set to (Whole Number) and (Currency).

I set up a new file and entered a quick test table. I then set the following rules, this should turn column 1 the correct colour but nothing happens.

Capture1.JPG

Hi @benjamincoady 

Weird. I have created a pbix with various formats as well as a video on the deletion of the percent ( to illustrate 0 percent is same as minimum number). The weird thing is you are not seeing those extra fields.

Check the PBIX in the link (Conditional Formatting PBIX and Video - OneDrive and compare to the video and see if you can see what I see. If you don't - maybe consider an uninstall and reinstall as a last resort.  Not sure if you download from the Microsoft Store or direct download though I doubt this makes a difference - but do check if your version in File / Options and Settings/ Diagnostics is 2.74.5619.862  ( which should be the latest as at 2/11/2019) Use this link Advanced Download Link  

Hope you crack this one soon mate,

Cheers

Manfred

Hey @mwimberger , 

I think I solved it, basically it need a text field to reference against. It was weird but once I dropped in the Project field (Text) into the table, all of the conditional formatting came to life. Strange and never experienced it before! 

Thanks for your input though, really appreciate it. 

Ben

Hi @benjamincoady 

I'm using the following Power BI build ( 2.74.5619.862) from 24 October 2019. I know there was an update to conditional formatting from August 2019.

Maybe try do a manual update Advanced Download Options Power BI  if you want to check if that gives the same options as mine.

Cheers

Manfred

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.