Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

esammann

Conditional Formatting on Calculated Date

Hello,

I am trying to highlight certifications that will expire in the next 30 days.  In my data I have an expiration date on the certification.  Once I got the data in I couldn't find a way to dynamically use todays date to find certifications expiring in the next 30 days, so I created a column in the "Power Query Editor" to calculate the days remaining.  The formula for that is below:

[Expiration Date]-DateTime.LocalNow()

However, this would not work in the Reports area.  The data comes back as something like 403.10:14:09.9422851 so it makes sense that PowerBI can't see this as a number.  I tried several variants to get just the days portion of the result, but I didn't find any formula options to get that for me.  Finally I decided to use the Split Column step to parse out the days into a separate column.  Now I can see the days remaining, but conditional formatting still will not work.

In the conditional formatting screen I see "Count of DaysRemaining.1" in the "Based on field" and "Count" in the "Summarization".  If I change the Format by to Field value then the screen blanks out and I have no color options or filter options.

PBI 1.PNGPBI 2.PNG

So my questions are:

1.  How am I supposed to use conditional formatting with a date field and why don't I see the background color option on "Field value"?

2.  How am I supposed to parse the days out for the RemainingDays on certifications?  I assume my method of parsing is causing the problems, but I haven't found the right formula to use in the "Power Query Editor"

Thanks,

Eric

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @esammann,

Please create such a measure:

flag = DATEDIFF(TODAY(),SELECTEDVALUE(Table1[Expiration Date]),DAY)

Then, set conditional formatting for certifications as below:

1.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hello Yuliana,

Thank  you for the reply.  I managed to get it going a different way though.  After parsing apart the days portion of the date I highlighted the DaysRemaining column, clicked the Transform tab, and then under Data Type I selected Whole Number.  Now the formatting works because before it was being seen as text.

Thanks again!

Eric

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @esammann,

Please create such a measure:

flag = DATEDIFF(TODAY(),SELECTEDVALUE(Table1[Expiration Date]),DAY)

Then, set conditional formatting for certifications as below:

1.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Yuliana,

Thank  you for the reply.  I managed to get it going a different way though.  After parsing apart the days portion of the date I highlighted the DaysRemaining column, clicked the Transform tab, and then under Data Type I selected Whole Number.  Now the formatting works because before it was being seen as text.

Thanks again!

Eric

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.