Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nellygamil
Frequent Visitor

Conditional Formatting based on percentage of multiple values

Hi All,

For the education sector, I am trying to develop a conditional format that either adds a word or conditional format a value based on the overall grades for students as below, it can be easily done in excel but I cannot figure it out in Power BI.

In my dataset, I have a column "Marks", where students can only be awarded a grade from 1 to 4

I want to visualize in a matrix if they have received specific percentages as below:

Capture.PNG

The end goal to look something like this:

Capture2.PNG

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Nelly

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nellygamil ,

I’ve created a table like this :

Forename

Curriculum

Score

a

O

a

N

a

M

b

O

b

M

b

N

c

O

c

M

c

N

And created a measure to generate the result as your requested:

Measure = var a = IF(CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Score]),Table1[Score]=4)/DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Score])>1/10,"Red",BLANK())
var b = IF(CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Score]),Table1[Score]=3)/DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Score])>1/5&&a=BLANK(),"Amber",BLANK())
var c = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Score]),Table1[Score]=3/DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Score]))
var d = IF(b=BLANK()&&c<1/5&&c>1/20,"Green",BLANK())
var e = IF(d=BLANK()||CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Score]),Table1[Score]=1)/DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Score])>2/5,"Gold")
Return
IF(a<>BLANK(),a,IF(b<>BLANK(),b,IF(d<>BLANK(),d,IF(e<>BLANK(),e))))

1.PNG

Then we got the text “Red”,”Amber”,etc.

I added another measure as the conditional format using the code:

Measure 2 = IF([Measure]="Red","#FF0A18",IF([Measure]="Amber","#FF8500",IF([Measure]="Gold","#FFF863",IF([Measure]="Green","#38FF3A","#000000"))))

2.png

You can find the color code under custom color in format pane

3.PNG

Then apply the measure 2 as format by clicking the conditional formatting>Background color>Field value

4.png

Until we get it. Attached pbix here for your reference: https://wicren-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/dinaye_wicren_onmicrosoft_com/EUBO626SMOpDoUWe-jgbZq...

6.png

Best regards,

Dina Ye

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nellygamil ,

I’ve created a table like this :

Forename

Curriculum

Score

a

O

a

N

a

M

b

O

b

M

b

N

c

O

c

M

c

N

And created a measure to generate the result as your requested:

Measure = var a = IF(CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Score]),Table1[Score]=4)/DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Score])>1/10,"Red",BLANK())
var b = IF(CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Score]),Table1[Score]=3)/DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Score])>1/5&&a=BLANK(),"Amber",BLANK())
var c = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Score]),Table1[Score]=3/DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Score]))
var d = IF(b=BLANK()&&c<1/5&&c>1/20,"Green",BLANK())
var e = IF(d=BLANK()||CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Score]),Table1[Score]=1)/DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Score])>2/5,"Gold")
Return
IF(a<>BLANK(),a,IF(b<>BLANK(),b,IF(d<>BLANK(),d,IF(e<>BLANK(),e))))

1.PNG

Then we got the text “Red”,”Amber”,etc.

I added another measure as the conditional format using the code:

Measure 2 = IF([Measure]="Red","#FF0A18",IF([Measure]="Amber","#FF8500",IF([Measure]="Gold","#FFF863",IF([Measure]="Green","#38FF3A","#000000"))))

2.png

You can find the color code under custom color in format pane

3.PNG

Then apply the measure 2 as format by clicking the conditional formatting>Background color>Field value

4.png

Until we get it. Attached pbix here for your reference: https://wicren-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/dinaye_wicren_onmicrosoft_com/EUBO626SMOpDoUWe-jgbZq...

6.png

Best regards,

Dina Ye

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

@v-diye-msft  Thank you so much for this, worked perfectly 🙂

much appreciated.

Nelly

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-diye-msft  , i'm having a similar problem (which i posted on another topic).

From my understanding you are calculating a MeasureColor from another Measure, and then you attribute the MeasureColor to the background of the Measure.

My problem is that i'm trying to do exactly the same but "OK" button get's grey - i can't select a measure to define the colour of another measure.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.