Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bhard
Frequent Visitor

Conditional Formatting an Average Column in a table

Hi,

The conditional formatting I am attempting seems very straightforward but I cannot get it to show correctly. 

I have a table of the average compliance across all location by category.

average by category.jpg

Category is not summarized and Actual is averaged on the values in the visualization pane. It pulls from the 'Actual Compliance' field. Each location is scored in four compliance categories. I am showing the average in all four catgories across all locations. The column is formatted as a percentage.

I have set Background Conditional formatting to show the following:

conditional formatting.jpg

But the result is this:

conditional formatting incorrect.jpg

I found several posts saying the Number designation with ratios needed to be used for conditional formatting with percentages. When I try that, I lose all conditional formatting. 

Am I doing something wrong or is this not possible with this type of data? What format do I need this in to achieve the same visual AND have conditional formatting?

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @bhard ,

You problem here is a question about format of the numbers you input in your rule, being a percentage the values are all in the 100 base so instead of making it the percentage value 0 - 50, 51 -  85 and 86-100 you need to select the numbers and make them until 1.

In this case you need to select the 0 - 0.5, 0.51-0.85 and 0.86 - 1 and change the percent to number.

This will return the correct value.

The percetage that you see using the rule is the percentage of values meaning that for the first rule the values that are in the first 50% of the calculations get the red colour. so that is why the to lowest values are marked because you have 4 values so 50% is 2.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @bhard ,

You problem here is a question about format of the numbers you input in your rule, being a percentage the values are all in the 100 base so instead of making it the percentage value 0 - 50, 51 -  85 and 86-100 you need to select the numbers and make them until 1.

In this case you need to select the 0 - 0.5, 0.51-0.85 and 0.86 - 1 and change the percent to number.

This will return the correct value.

The percetage that you see using the rule is the percentage of values meaning that for the first rule the values that are in the first 50% of the calculations get the red colour. so that is why the to lowest values are marked because you have 4 values so 50% is 2.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.