Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cassidy
Power Participant
Power Participant

Conditional Format Background, bad results on Drill Down

Hello,

I have a table that I'm trying to "heat map" with background conditional formatting.  The Value is a $ Sales shown as % to Row Total.  The Results are as expected until I Drill Down.

Here it is, looks good while on I'm on the first set of Rows:

cassidy_0-1609974847731.png

If I drill down to the second set of Rows, I can't figure out what it's doing.  Based on my knowledge of the data, where it's highlighting makes sense in the context of the entire table, but not the row. 

Marked a few areas in Blue where there should be an obvious background fill.

cassidy_1-1609975019910.png

Here are my settings:

cassidy_2-1609975125723.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@cassidy actually on second thought, I think I see what's happening.  The conditional formatting is not being applied to the %, it's being applied to the actual $ value.  So my guess is those areas you've marked in blue which don't have formatting are the lowest $ value rows.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@cassidy 

what is the formula that you use in field 'Demand Sls $ TY' in the conditional formatting ?

@themistoklis  I'm connected live to a large dataset, that measure in the dataset is SUM of a single Sales column.

ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@cassidy actually on second thought, I think I see what's happening.  The conditional formatting is not being applied to the %, it's being applied to the actual $ value.  So my guess is those areas you've marked in blue which don't have formatting are the lowest $ value rows.

ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@cassidy just as a first troubleshooting step, what happens when you change the "Minimum" and "Maximum" settings from "Lowest value" and "Highest Value" to hard-coded values of 0 and 1, respectively?

cassidy
Power Participant
Power Participant

@ebeery  It colors the entire thing dark pink...which I'm realizing it's because these are not actual perctanges, PowerBI is just displaying it as a % to Row Total.  It's formatting based on the underlying Sales $ which are far greater than 1.

Can we not conditional format individual rows?   I think that's what's happening, I'm just getting lucky on the first screenshot that it appears to be based on rows, but it's really based on the Total Sales $.

@cassidy I agree, I think it's just formatting based on the total sales $, not the %.

One option (which I'm thinking might be your best bet), would be to create a measure that actually calculates the % and use that in the visual and also in the conditional formatting rules, instead of relying on the "show values as" functionality.

cassidy
Power Participant
Power Participant

I think i'm still going to run into the inablity to conditional format each row.  Whether it's $ or %, I believe it's going to look at the whole table and then format, whereas I wan't each row to be indepently formatted.  It would be like defining each row as a format range in Excel, very tedious...not surprised BI is not allowing it.

@cassidy ahh I see what you're saying.  The measure would be able to calculate the % of row total, but to your point, the formatting would be applied for the entire matrix, not for each row separately.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors