Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

balumaran
Frequent Visitor

Conditional Columns or IF Conditions in Direct Query mode

Hello Experts, 

Looking for help here. I have a report that pulls data from 11 mil rows and 10 mil rows SAP HANA views in direct query mode. I understand that there are limitations in Direct Query mode. However it takes a while to pull all the data in Import mode. My issue are: 

- In Direct Query Mode, I am trying to calculate a measure based on a Dimensional attrinbute. When I use Conditional column in the underlying table/view, I am getting error in the report. Where as When I try to use If statement, for experession parameter with in If Statement, I am not able to select the dimentional attribute. Basically I am trying to calculate Paid Attendance metric with the logical expression If the account code is "4001" then Attendance else 0 end. I am not able to select the account code in If statements.  What are the options for conditional calculations in direct query mode given the importing millions of rows takes a while to load the data. 

Appreciate taking time in looking into my issues. 

- Mani

2 REPLIES 2
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@balumaran,

For your Dimensional attrinbute, it's better to create a column other than a measure. I have tested it on my local environment, connect to SAP HANA.

Column = IF(RaduSales[EnglishProductName]="Bikes","A","B")
Measure 2 = if(SUM(RaduSales[SalesAmount])>50000000,"Good","N/A")
Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

If your issue persists, please provide us more detail information, so that we can make further analysis.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Thanks Charlie for getting back to me. 

I am trying to create a measure based on a dimensional attribute, so When I create a measure , in If statement under Logical Test, my dimensional attribute column is not getting listed and it does not allow me to select it as well. I have to have an aggregation like Max, MIn, Distinct with the attribute with in the If statement.

I have a table with Attribute column account code, measures Attendance columns, dates etc. I need to create a paid attendance measure based on Account code. If account code is 4000, then sum(Attendance) is the Paid attendance. 

What am I missing ? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.