Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sirlanceohlott
Advocate III
Advocate III

Conditional Column (Variable)

Good afternoon,

I had one column for Office which had 1-4 offices separated by a comma; therefore, I split by comma delimiter to create the necessary splits to do percentages on the number of Offices involved. 

Since the maximum amount of Offices involved is 4, I am assigning 25% to each column when I do my calculations. 

If there is not more than one office it produced a null which I handled through the creation of conditional columns in PowerQuery for Office 2 - 4. 

If one office is involved the conditional columns allow for that office to occupy all 4 rows for full ownership (1) of the JobOrder.

If 2 offices are involved, they each occupy 2 of the 4 rows to receive half ownership (.5) of the JobOrder . 

If 4 offices are involved, they each receive 1 of the 4 rows to receive quarter ownership (.25) of the JobOrder.

The only scenario I am having difficulty is when there are 3 offices involved because of my 4th split columns conditional logic that handles all other scenarios above.

I'd be utilizing the Office.1, Office.2.Split, Office.3.Split, and Office.4.Split columns as these handle the bulk of the scenarios, would I just have to handle the 3 office scenario through the original split columns? 

ConditionalColumn(1).PNG

Here's the logic for the Office.4.Split as well:

ConditionalColumn(2).PNG

I appreciate and value your input.

Have a great Friday.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@sirlanceohlott solution attached and I hope that is what you are looking for.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@sirlanceohlott I thnk you are taking different approach, you should split offices in rows and then thru DAX calculate the % based on # of office on a job. If you are not sure how to do this, share sample pbix with data and I will get you the solution.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@parry2k , I appreciate your help this morning as well as this afternoon.

I only took a screenshot of the specific columns within that fact table, but I trust your judgement on a different approach.

I'll send you a message separately with the information needed for you to review. 

@sirlanceohlott solution attached and I hope that is what you are looking for.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.