cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DebbieE Member

Conditional Column Case sensitive

Im creating flags using Text.

But it seems that its case sensitive "microsoft", "Microsoft"

Is there anyway I can get rid of that? I dont want to add 2 conditions when i only need one?

Debbie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gazzer Member

Re: Conditional Column Case sensitive

Create your conditional column exactly as you have been doing, then go to the formula bar and edit it to be something like:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "MyConditionalCol", each if Text.Lower([MyColumn]) = "microsoftazure" then 1 else 0)

The key bit is wrapping Text.Lower() around the column name and making sure the comparitor is also lowercase.

image.png

5 REPLIES 5
DebbieE Member

Ive come up with a workaround

Create a duplicate column, change everything to lower case and use that. Then hide this column

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi DebbieE,

Could you share some sample data and clarify more info about your expected result?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

DebbieE Member

Yes, I have a twitter test field. If for example you had

1 MicrosoftAzure

2 microsoftazure

3 Microsoftazure

4 microsoftAzure

Currently it seems if you go to New Conditional Column. And Add a If Text Contains microsoftazure  Then 1 You will only get a flag set against 2

I dont want to set 4 conditions, which will potentially miss other mixes of capitals and none capitals. The only way around this I could think of is to Duplicate Text. Change to lower case and use this as the basis of the condition

Gazzer Member

Create your conditional column exactly as you have been doing, then go to the formula bar and edit it to be something like:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "MyConditionalCol", each if Text.Lower([MyColumn]) = "microsoftazure" then 1 else 0)

The key bit is wrapping Text.Lower() around the column name and making sure the comparitor is also lowercase.

image.png

DebbieE Member

Fantastic,

Thank you