Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jav226
Frequent Visitor

Computing rollup weighted sum

Seeking assistance from Power BI experts.

I'm trying to compute the overall progress of Program 1, which is sum of each individual Project Progress, based on the weightage assigned for each Project.

Below is the illustration.  Appreciate if someone can share the expression to achieve this computation. Thanks in advanced.

ProgramProjectWeightageProgressProject Weighted Progress
(Weightage x Progress)
Program 1Project A8.80%4.80%0.42%
Program 1Project B28.20%1.32%0.37%
Program 1Project C52.00%0.06%0.03%
Program 1Project D11.00%1.00%0.11%
Overall Program 1 Progress   0.94%

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So based on your new requirement to apply the weightings differently at different levels you might be able to do something like the following which just dynamically changes the factor inside the SUMX based on which columns are filtered

SUMX( table1, IF(ISFILTERED( table1[Project]), 1,  -- at the project level multiply by 1
    IF( ISFILTERED(Program], [Project Weightage],  -- at the program level apply the project weight
    [Program Weightage] * [Project Weightage])   -- at the total level apply program and project weighting
* [Progress])

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

you should be able to do this with a measure like the following:

SUMX(  <table name>, [Weightage] * [Progress])

Thanks Gosbell for the quick response.

However, SUMX doesn't seem to resolve the problem. 

Mainly is because each level (Overall > Program > Project) has its own weightage. 

ProgramProjectWeightageProgressProject Weighted Progress (Weightage x Progress)
Program 1Project A8.80%4.80%0.42%
Program 1Project B28.20%1.32%0.37%
Program 1Project C52.00%0.06%0.03%
Program 1Project D11.00%1.00%0.11%
Overall Program 1 Progress   0.94%

ProgramProjectWeightageProgressProject Weighted Progress (Weightage x Progress)
Program 2Project E20.00%2.00%0.400%
Program 2Project F20.00%1.00%0.200%
Program 2Project G30.00%3.00%0.900%
Program 2Project H30.00%3.00%0.900%
Overall Program 2 Progress   2.40%

ProgramProgram WeightageProgram Weighted Progress (Overall Program Progress x Program Weightage)
Program 1 Progress30%0.28%
Program 2 Progress70%1.68%
All Programs Progress 1.96%

This is how my fact table looks like:-

ProgramProgram Weightage (%)ProjectProject Weightage (%)Project Progress (%)
Program 130%Project A8.80%4.80%
Program 130%Project B28.20%1.32%
Program 130%Project C52.00%0.06%
Program 130%Project D11.00%1.00%
Program 270%Project E20.00%2.00%
Program 270%Project F20.00%1.00%
Program 270%Project G30.00%3.00%
Program 270%Project H30.00%3.00%

However, SUMX doesn't seem to resolve the problem. 

Mainly is because each level (Overall > Program > Project) has its own weightage. 

So this is additional information. We can really only answer based on the information you provided.

But doesn't the same approach still work? Isn't the program just an additional weighting that you need to apply?

eg.

SUMX(  <table name>, [Program Weightage] * [Project Weightage] * [Progress])

The computation of the Progess (%) should be dynamic based on which level is selected.

For eg:-
When selected Project A, Progress (%) = 4.8%
When selected Program 1, Progress (%)= = 0.94%
When selected Program 2, Progress (%) = 2.4%
When selected Overall Progress (Program 1 and Program 2), the Progresss (%) = 1.96%

I don't think in this case, SUMX( <table name>, [Program Weightage] * [Project Weightage] * [Progress]) works.

So based on your new requirement to apply the weightings differently at different levels you might be able to do something like the following which just dynamically changes the factor inside the SUMX based on which columns are filtered

SUMX( table1, IF(ISFILTERED( table1[Project]), 1,  -- at the project level multiply by 1
    IF( ISFILTERED(Program], [Project Weightage],  -- at the program level apply the project weight
    [Program Weightage] * [Project Weightage])   -- at the total level apply program and project weighting
* [Progress])

Hi,

I hit another roadblock, hope you can assist again. 

Your DAX works perfectly fine when I display the records in a table.

When I display a chart showing the overall All Programs progress, and start to slice to only Project A and Project B, it sums up the Progress of Project A and Project B which is not correct. Because I'm at overall All Programs level, the expectation is to sum up the progress of Project A and Project B with consideration of the Project and Program weightage. 

It should not matter if the data is visualized in a table or a chart.

But I don't really understand what your issue is - I can't understand how you can be both at the total level and slicing by a project. Can you maybe share a screenshot or something? 

In Pic01 below, when I'm not slicing any Project, the overall progress of 0.82% at the bar chart is correct.

Pic01Pic01

But at Pic02 below, when I slice to Project A and Project E, the Overall Progress in bar chart becomes 14.31%. The expected progress should be 0.64% [ Project A (8.14% * 8.80% * 36%) + Project E (6.17% * 9.60% * 64%)].

Pic02Pic02

My DAX script as following:-

Cumm Planned (%) =
SUMX(All_DATA, IF(ISFILTERED( 'ALL_DATA'[L4 - Discipline]), [Planned (%)],
IF( ISFILTERED('ALL_DATA'[L3 - Phase]), [L4 Weightage (%)], IF( ISFILTERED('ALL_DATA'[L2 - Package]), [L3 Weightage (%)] * [L4 Weightage (%)],
[L2 EPCC Weightage (%)] * [L3 Weightage (%)] *[L4 Weightage (%)])) * [Planned (%)])
)

Hmm, I was just about to reply back saying that you might just have to create 3 separate measures, then I remembered that PowerBI added a new ISINSCOPE function in Nov last year.

You'll have to adjust the column names in the code below as I used the sample table you posted earlier to test this code, but I think this might work for both your tables and charts.

Cumm Planned (%) 2 = SUMX( ALL_DATA, IF(ISINSCOPE( ALL_DATA[Project]) , 1,  -- at the project level multiply by 1
    IF( ISINSCOPE(ALL_DATA[Program]) , [Project Weightage (%)] ,  -- at the program level apply the project weight
    [Program Weightage (%)] * [Project Weightage (%)]))   -- at the total level apply program and project weighting
* [Project Progress (%)])

Hi Gospel,

Seems like IsInscope is computing the % correctly when I filter at L3 - Phase. 

When I filter at L2 - Package level, IsFiltered computation returns the correct value.

Is there a way to combine both IsFiltered and IsInScope to cater both filtering at L3 - Phase and L2 - Package as one single measure?

Thanks again.

Cumm Planned IsFiltered(%) =
SUMX(All_DATA, IF(ISFILTERED( 'ALL_DATA'[L4 - Discipline]), [Planned (%)],
IF( ISFILTERED('ALL_DATA'[L3 - Phase]), [L4 Weightage (%)], IF( ISFILTERED('ALL_DATA'[L2 - Package]), [L3 Weightage (%)] * [L4 Weightage (%)], [L2 EPCC Weightage (%)] * [L3 Weightage (%)] *[L4 Weightage (%)])) * [Planned (%)])
)

Cumm Planned InScope(%) =
SUMX(All_DATA, IF(ISINSCOPE( 'ALL_DATA'[L4 - Discipline]), [Planned (%)],
IF( ISINSCOPE('ALL_DATA'[L3 - Phase]), [L4 Weightage (%)],
IF( ISINSCOPE('ALL_DATA'[L2 - Package]), [L3 Weightage (%)] * [L4 Weightage (%)],
[L2 EPCC Weightage (%)] * [L3 Weightage (%)] *[L4 Weightage (%)])) * [Planned (%)])
)

@jav226 wrote:

Seems like IsInscope is computing the % correctly when I filter at L3 - Phase. 

When I filter at L2 - Package level, IsFiltered computation returns the correct value.

Is there a way to combine both IsFiltered and IsInScope to cater both filtering at L3 - Phase and L2 - Package as one single measure?

Hi @jav226 - I'm seeing the same figures returned by the IsFiltered and IsInScope versions of the calc. It's hard to fix a problem I can't see. Are you able to share the details (or screenshots) of how you have your visuals configured when they return the "incorrect" results?

It works! Thanks again. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.