Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ustas55
Helper I
Helper I

Compound RLS

Good Day Professionals,

I'm relatively new to Power BI, so please excuse my basic (if that) question.

Looking for advice on how to achieve/implement dual RLS mode.

In my simple example, let's say there're 3 Customers, and every Customer has a dedicated (current) Sales Rep. Those customers made a sale. However, when transaction was made, it was associated with other Sales Reps. 

I've created a simple star schema model and need to create 2 reports: first to dispalay sales informattion based on the current Rep associated with the Customer, other report should display sales based on the Rep who made a transaction. 

Esentially, Rep 2 from Customer should see $200, while Rep 2 on Transaction should see $500.

RLS.jpg

Thank you in advance for your time on think about this.

Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ustas55 ,

Please refer to my .PBIX file.

aaa7.PNGaaa8.PNGaaa9.PNG

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ustas55 ,

Like this?

aa12.PNG

Please refer to my .pbix file.

.pbix file 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lionel,

Thank you.

Sort-of like that. However, when running under Rep-3, I'm getting Sales for Rep-2.

RLS-1.jpg

My dilemma, I guess, is that security has to be “dual” and independent mode. First, (Master data report) has to filter Reps on the Customer table (like in your sample model). Second (transactional),  has to be on the Rep table.

Best Regards,

Sam

Hi @ustas55 ,

Has your problem been solved? 

Are your three tables like this?

Customer table

gg8.PNG

Rep table

gg9.PNG

Sale table

gg10.PNG

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

Hi Lionel,
Unfortunately no, still pursuing opportunities on how to make it work.

My tables are as follow:

RLS-2.jpg

Just want to reiterate what I’m trying to achieve…. This RLS should accommodate reps who are currently assigned to a customer and reps that made transaction; “master data” vs “transactional”.

Rep-1 has 1 customer and 1 transaction. $100 should be returened using both RSL methods.

Rep-2 has 1 customer and 2 transactions. So if Rep-2 needs to see “master data”, he should see only $200. If he wants to see transactional, he would see $500.

Rep-3 has 1 customer and no transactions. So he should only see $300 associated with customer “C”. Since Rep-3 didn’t have any transactions, his “transactional” report should not display any numbers.

Thank you for looking into it.

Best Regards,

Sam

Hi @ustas55 ,

Please refer to my .PBIX file.

aaa7.PNGaaa8.PNGaaa9.PNG

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

Thank you Lionel, 

I think it will work. At least I've got a concept.

Best Regards,

Sam

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.