Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

karaoan
Kudo Commander
Kudo Commander

Composite models working with live SSAS Tabular Connection?

We absolutely love the concept of the newly announced Composite Model feature in July 2018 but it doesn't seem to support an SSAS Tabular live connection? Composite Model is turned on but in our existing reports with SSAS live connections there is no way to add other sources respectively have the "dual storage" option? Anyone know if/when this will be supported?

Martin

Enterprise Planning, CPM & Writeback in Power BI -> Acterys

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please check this one 

Modeling

Model view enabled for live connect (preview) .When you live connect from Power BI Desktop to an Analysis Service model or a dataset published in the Power BI service, the model view is now enabled.

souldiv
Frequent Visitor

Composite models on AS tabular models for live connect is being worked on. Still no timeline available

@karaoan wrote:

We absolutely love the concept of the newly announced Composite Model feature in July 2018 but it doesn't seem to support an SSAS Tabular live connection? Composite Model is turned on but in our existing reports with SSAS live connections there is no way to add other sources respectively have the "dual storage" option? Anyone know if/when this will be supported?

Martin

Enterprise Planning, CPM & Writeback in Power BI -> Acterys

SwedeJones
Frequent Visitor
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a feature that I would love to have. Any updates on this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Would love to have this feature. Any updates?

Agree, it would be great to have. I havent seen any updates yet. I asked about this on the Power BI youtube-channel and the reply seemed to confirm that ms is working on this. But as far as I know, MS havent not said how this functionality will be implemented, ie will both tabular and multi cubes be suppported? Will the functionality require a later version of SQL Server?

I just wondered the same thing. Not working for my LIVE connection to my AS instance. The docs, unfortunately, are very clear by stating that it can work with a DIRECT QUERY connection, i.e. which is used for regular SQL tables. 

dmarkle
Frequent Visitor

Yeah, it was a bit of a letdown to see that live Tabular connections aren't supported yet.  I hope it's coming.  When it does, I can see the value of our data warehouse expanding greatly.

niklas3000
Helper I
Helper I

I rewatched the video where the preview of composite models was announced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtig3rmIUe0

And around 7:25 the presenter says, in the preview period "will only support tabular sources", and "multi dimensional sources are not supported yet"

This is where I think I misunderstood, it probably should be understood as tabular = data in tables, not tabular cubes.

Still it would be great to get a clearification the ms inteends to release support for multi dimentional cubes for composite models. It would planning the roadmap forward much easier.

niklas3000
Helper I
Helper I

I am wondering the same thing.

In the youtube-video for the july-release of power bi, it was said the the composite model would work for tabular, but not multi cubes. But when I read the article on composite models (link below), it says that analysis server is not supported. The tabular cubes runs only under analysis server, dont they?

https://docs.microsoft.com/sv-se/power-bi/desktop-composite-models

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wondering the same thing. I have created a data model in Analysis Services and deployed it to Azure Analysis Services Server. In Power BI I can only connect via live connection or import. When using live connection I do not have further access to get data from other sources. How can I get access to composite models when using Azure Analysis Services?

RichardV
Advocate II
Advocate II

I have exactly the same question as Martin. Will it become available for SSAS tabular live connection too?

In my case i need this feature with multidimensional model, i think this feature will arrive soon, a least i hope so. i tested with july update and don't works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.