Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

WVonk
Frequent Visitor

Composite model slow vs fast

Hi!

I'm testing the composite model for a business issue for a customer of ours.

Situation:

DQ:

1 Fact table with 174 rows

In memory:

dimension Debtor: 7750 rows

dimension Part: 60000 rows

the relations are made with integer keys. Both are Many to One (Single).The measure is a simple sum of a amount collumn. 

Everyting out of the Part dimension i throw against this measure is fast and snappy! But when is use the Debtor dimension (much smaller) it sometimes takes more then 20 seconds for a simpe sort. I can't get my head around this, why is de larger dimension much faster then the smaller one?

Anyone any idea? 

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @WVonk,

If I understand your sceanrio correctly that the dimension Part runs fast than the dimension Debtor?

If it is, I'm afraid that the performance will be affected by many factors. If you have more columns of dimension Debtor then the dimension Part, the performance of dimension Debtor will be bad than the dimension Part.

In addtion, the complex of the measure will also affect the performance.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-piga-msft 

Thats correct, the Part dimension is always much faster than the debtor. Even when i only load 1 collumn from the Debtor dimension. 

I found out that when switch all three tables to DirectQeury, it's all fast. When i switch the Fact to DQ everything with the Debtor dimension is slow. 

In Dax studio, a simple sum measure. With the PartID around 60 milliiseconds and with the Debtor ID around 800 ms tot 33 seconds. 

Is there anything i can futher investigate regarding this? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.