Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ravjay
Frequent Visitor

Composite data model & report refresh

Hi,

I'm new to PowerBI. I've developed a composite data model which connects 2 individual data models to a consolidated data model and the report was built based on this composite data model . linkage is as follows,

(** each data model has setup for auto-refresh with a 30mint gap in between)

comp.PNGcan someone explain these to me,

1. if I refreshed the "test-report" will it refresh all data models it connected to or just the report (effectively only obtaining whatever the data available on the "test-consolidated" data model)

2. if I refresh the "test-consolidated" data model, will it automatically refresh the report? will it initiate to refresh the other data models ("test-porcpt", "test-pohdr-dtl" connected to it?

3 if I refresh only an individual data model below the hierarchy test-porcpt", and "test-pohdr-dtl, will it initiate a refreshing consolidated data model to refresh and refresh the report? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ravjay ,

1, Refresh the "test-report" will refresh only refresh the reprots of the "test-report" dataset. And all the reports of the "test-report" will refresh.

2 Refresh the "test-consolidated" data model will only refresh the reports of "test-consolidated", the "test-porcpt" and "test-pohdr-dtl" will not refresh.

3 No, the "test-consolidated" model will not refreh if the the "test-porcpt" and "test-pohdr-dtl" refreshed. But when you refresh the report of "test-consolidated", the visuals of this report will have new data.

the "test-consolidated" model is a DirectQuery model and this will not save any data in its model, when you refresh the visual or report, it will send query to the "test-porcpt" or "test-pohdr-dtl". And what data will the result get depends on "test-porcpt" or "test-pohdr-dtl" model have been refreshed.

For more details, you can refer this link.

Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ravjay ,

1, Refresh the "test-report" will refresh only refresh the reprots of the "test-report" dataset. And all the reports of the "test-report" will refresh.

2 Refresh the "test-consolidated" data model will only refresh the reports of "test-consolidated", the "test-porcpt" and "test-pohdr-dtl" will not refresh.

3 No, the "test-consolidated" model will not refreh if the the "test-porcpt" and "test-pohdr-dtl" refreshed. But when you refresh the report of "test-consolidated", the visuals of this report will have new data.

the "test-consolidated" model is a DirectQuery model and this will not save any data in its model, when you refresh the visual or report, it will send query to the "test-porcpt" or "test-pohdr-dtl". And what data will the result get depends on "test-porcpt" or "test-pohdr-dtl" model have been refreshed.

For more details, you can refer this link.

Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.