Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AlexD43
Frequent Visitor

Composite Model Publishing after Dec 2020. SSAS + Excel Sheet

Hi All

I've had an existing report working fine but I wanted to add some specific targets per lead channel, so I created an Excel Sheet in a secure but shared location in a company folder, accessed through VPN as WFH) with 1 page which looks similar to the below.

CampaignConversion NameConversion TargetRPC Target
Test1Mr Testy30%£62

This data was brought in to the existing table as a column (Conversion Name), then a couple of calcs all of which pull through fine into the desktop app using a combination of lookupvalue (Sheet1 'Conversion Target', Sheet 1 'Campaign'), and selectedvalue (SSAS Model 'CampaignName').
This information all appears fine on the Desktop App, however when I try to publish to 'My Workspace', in the same location as the same report used to publish I get good old 'Computer Says No'...

I've tried to schedule a reset, but it only lets me try to manage the data warehouse, which I'm not the administrator for.

AlexD43_0-1611069234477.png

Other reports are publishing fine using only SSAS source so it must be my arrangement for my Excel file location.

What do I need for this, in a way that keeps the Excel table secure?

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @AlexD43 ,

If I understand correctly, you have stored the excel file that was originally stored in on premises in SharePoint location, right? Have you updated the connection method of excel file (from connect to Excel to connect to Sharepoint) in the report? You can refer to the solution in the following threads to solve your problem.

SharePoint List Access to resource is forbidden

n:Expression.Error: Access to the resource is forbidden. (SharePoint & Unpivot)

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AlexD43
Frequent Visitor

I've tried both and changed the connection type.
I think we have some funky permissions in our company-managed 365
rules preventing us giving open access; our PBI accounts are separately arranged as most employees don't need it.

I've actually arranged for the data to be copied into the PBIx file as a manual table which is now working, but ideally moving it to Excel at some point to allow someone else to update the table would be better so this is still relevant learning for me; just slightly lower priority as I've published what I needed to with a different method.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@AlexD43 where is your excel file located? Can you put it on sharepoint/one drive for business and use it from there.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi. The file was on a local folder on a VPN network.

However when I move it to a company sharepointlocation I get this; which to me suggests our account default permission is not to share with external services, even when logged in with company credentials ???

AlexD43_0-1611140860167.png

Cheers

Hi @AlexD43 ,

If I understand correctly, you have stored the excel file that was originally stored in on premises in SharePoint location, right? Have you updated the connection method of excel file (from connect to Excel to connect to Sharepoint) in the report? You can refer to the solution in the following threads to solve your problem.

SharePoint List Access to resource is forbidden

n:Expression.Error: Access to the resource is forbidden. (SharePoint & Unpivot)

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.