Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MattKarriker2
Helper II
Helper II

Composite Model (PBI Dataset Direct query and Excel) OLD DB or ODBC Error: Cannot find table

We are experiencing an error with a composite model that utilizes a Power BI Dataset in service and adds an excel file for budget information.  The developer of this model receive an error  when they build visuals.  The error is OLE DB or ODBC Error: Cannot find table 'tablename'.  The table name listed in the error is a table in Power BI Dataset that is being utilized by direct query.  The user can see the table in model.  They can also add relationships to the table.  However when they try to render data they receive the error.  

When I and 2 other developers test the composite model we do not receive the error and data is returned as expected.  I feel the issue is with permissions to the Power BI Dataset being used in direct query mode.  However all 3 developers have the same access to the dataset, Read, Reshare, Build.  

Has anyone ever seen this behavior before? 

1 REPLY 1
Arul
Super User
Super User

@MattKarriker2 ,

I reckon you need to activate Directquery for PBI datasets and AS in preview features of Power BI desktop,

Arul_0-1663899494039.png

Thanks,

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.