Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dkmahf
Regular Visitor

Composite Model - Keep Cooperate hidden fields, hidden

Hi

I am currently working on a composite model in Power BI Desktop, where I combine a cooperate SSAS tabular model with an excel sheet, placed in our Azure Data Lake. I am facing some problems, and hope that you can help me:

If I accidentially press "Unhide All" in Power BI Desktop, it will show me all the fields from the cooperate model - also the ones that has been hidden from cooperate site. And it seems that the only way to get back to the starting point, is to manually hide all of them again. Is there something I can do, so that it will not be possible for the business users to unhide the fields from the SSAS tabular model?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Do you want the bad news, or the bad news?  Hidded fields from someone else's dataset aren't actually hidden. They will be listed in the "Sort by column"  dialog, and they can be manually used in measures and calculated columns.

Security by obscurity does not work. If you don't want "them" to see these columns, don't include these columns in your data.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You make a good point - i think this should be raised as an idea.

I am quite new to the community - How do I raise an idea?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Do you want the bad news, or the bad news?  Hidded fields from someone else's dataset aren't actually hidden. They will be listed in the "Sort by column"  dialog, and they can be manually used in measures and calculated columns.

Security by obscurity does not work. If you don't want "them" to see these columns, don't include these columns in your data.

Thank you for the answer.

It is however not due to security that we from the coorperate BI side want to hide the fields. It is basically just to make it as user friendly for the business as possible. There is no reason why they should be confused by hidden measures, that are only used as a calculation-step for another DAX measure. Also, if they are not described in the documentation - since they are not able to see the underlying DAX code.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.