Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Composite Model(Direct Query) Error

When I convert the live connection(SQL Database) to Direct Query using transform data, every visual fails and throws an error: "OLE DB or ODBC error : The 'NestingLevel' property was not recognized... " With live connection, all visuals work fine but I need to add more tables hence I need to use a composite model. I couldn't find any solution online. I'd appreciate if anyone can help figure a work around this error. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

After days of digging, I found the reason....currently composite model feature is available for azure and Power BI datasets and not SSAS cubsets,hence this feature isn't working. Hopefully, composite model support is extended to more database types in future.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Powerviz
Frequent Visitor

Unable to create composite model. Using Power BI dataset first and then when attempting to make changes to this model > add a local model > I get an error message 400 bad request.

I have already enabled 'DirectQuery for PBI datasets and AS' in options > preview features.

Is it possible that there is an admin or tenant setting that also needs to be adjusted?

Anonymous
Not applicable

After days of digging, I found the reason....currently composite model feature is available for azure and Power BI datasets and not SSAS cubsets,hence this feature isn't working. Hopefully, composite model support is extended to more database types in future.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Try once clear permissions in edit connections and check.

If not open power query and check for any additional error details

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak I am using the new feature added in power bi in Dec 2020 update of :DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (Preview). I connected live to the database and once the connection was established, I clicked on transform data where it asks me if I want to switch to a direct query connection and add a local model to the file. Post that, the storage mode is DirectQuery. The conversion is done automatically by power bi hence there's no manual query written(hence no queries in the query editor). In live connection, all visuals load perfectly but once I use this direct query feature, all the visuals using connected database columns show the same error: "OLE DB or ODBC error : The 'NestingLevel' property was not recognized... "

I am sure you must already know it, adding a link to the official power bi video where they released this feature incase anyone else wants to have a look (timestamp: 0:33sec) : Power BI Update - December 2020 - YouTube

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try to uninstall and install the latest Version:  2.92.706.0  of Power BI Desktop.

Then refer to Direct Query Mode in Power BI for Azure Analysis Services .

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-kkf-msft , 

I do have the latest version installed but the model is on SSAS platform which I believe isn't supported yet. It works with Power BI datasets and Azure database only. I hope they release an update allowing data integration from multiple data sources. 

Thank you for the help. Really appreciate it.

Regards

Rajat

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.