Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

onkelphill
Frequent Visitor

Composite Model 2.0 - New Relationship icon/ type?

Hey folks,

recently discovered this symbol building a composite model. I do not find any reference nor documentation.

Any idea what this is about, why it is showing up and what it is supposed to tell me?

I connected to 2 dataset via directquery and would like to create relationships. The relationship wizard was not complaining creating the 1:n relation. It's just that it is not working and i guess the answer to the question "why is it not working" is indicated by the symbol highlighted below.

Thx for your support!

onkelphill_1-1623241547906.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I wanted to follow up that I found an article by Paul Turley that confirmed this understanding.  The symbols represent a limited or weak relationship.  

https://sqlserverbi.blog/2021/12/12/are-we-there-yet-composite-models-using-directquery-over-power-b...

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
tctrout
Resolver III
Resolver III

@onkelphill have you found an answer to this?

Ive been searching for what this means as well.  I have noticed it has only appeared in my composite model when I related an imported table / calculated table to a direct query table.  Is this what it represents?    

no, i am still looking for an answer to my initial question.

thanks for asking!

Hi, @onkelphill 

Please reference this limitation:

vjaneygmsft_0-1634020739272.png

Use composite models in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I think this explanation sheds light on it, but doesnt fully explain its behavior.

I think now that the <> <> symbols indicate a cross source relationship between Import and Direct Query.  The above article indicates that cross source relationships are always many:many; however you can physically change the relationship to be one:many.  Does this <> symbol indicate that no mater what you choose, its a many:many relationship?

I wanted to follow up that I found an article by Paul Turley that confirmed this understanding.  The symbols represent a limited or weak relationship.  

https://sqlserverbi.blog/2021/12/12/are-we-there-yet-composite-models-using-directquery-over-power-b...

That's what i was looking for. Shout out to Paul! His blog is a great read. Long-time follower. 

Hello @tctrout 

Indeed, I read the document, which reminds me of the strong and weak relationships in the database.

I suggest you mark your answer as solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

Hi, @tctrout 

Regarding the definition of this symbol <>, the document doesn't update it, which also shows that it is not important. But your understanding is probably right.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Janey

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @onkelphill 

Any updates?

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @onkelphill 

As long as the composite model is used, this logo will appear after the relationship is created, and it has no special meaning. As for the "not working" you said, it has nothing to do with the logo, Can you share some sample data to judge?

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @onkelphill 

What do you mean by ‘it is not working’? After my test, I found that in the composite model, if there is no matching value in the two fields that create a relationship, this icon will appear.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

"not working" means that i was not able to create a simple visual, say a pivot/ matrix visual, using elements from both datasets at the same time. The moment i add any element (a column a measure etc.) from the other dataset the existing visual it switches to blank, i.e. the data disappeares.

Hi, @onkelphill 

I think you need to make sure that the data in the relationship can be matched. If it doesn’t work, I suggest you create a bridge table, and then new the relationship separately.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

i am pretty sure it can be matched but nevertheless i will check again. Thx!

However, going back to my initial question, what is the meaning of the relationship symbol i highlighted in my screenshot? I have not found anything in the official documentation referring to this specific symbol.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.