Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thuetten
Helper I
Helper I

Composite Data Source

I have a Power BI report with an integrated Power App. I have two data sources, one with a large amount of data that is being imported, and one table that is in direct query mode that is the table the Power App writes to, that I'd like to update after each submission. My goal is to have one table that contains mostly information from the imported table, and a few fields from the Power App DQ table. I've tried to methods and I'm getting the same non-working result.

1. I merged the queries in Power Query as a left outer join from the imported to the Direct Query table. The new data source this resulted in is in Import mode, so it won't work.

2. I linked the queries in the design editor. It defaults to a 1:1 relationship with security both directions, but this won't work because the DQ table only has a fraction of the rows as the imported source. So I changed it to a *:1 relationship, where the imported table filters the DQ table. This works for everything, except it now won't pass the fields in the imported table to the Power App. I have another table that consists of only imported fields. If I click on a row in the main table that has a DQ record, the other table filters fine. If I click on a row that doesn't exist in DQ, the other table is blank and won't display anything. It's almost as if it's still being treated as a Both security filter.

Any thoughts on how I can accomplish this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
thuetten
Helper I
Helper I

The solution I finally found, was to link the imported table and the direct query table in the model, and in the main table made sure the fields I added from the direct query table were aggregated. This seemed to fix the issue.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
thuetten
Helper I
Helper I

The solution I finally found, was to link the imported table and the direct query table in the model, and in the main table made sure the fields I added from the direct query table were aggregated. This seemed to fix the issue.

v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thuetten ,

Have you tried merging a direct query and an imported table using a left outer join in Power Query Editor? Like this:

https://debbiesmspowerbiazureblog.home.blog/2019/09/19/what-happens-when-you-merge-a-direct-query-an... 

Best Regards,
Winniz

I did try this, the resulting table was an imported table and the direct query side would not refresh.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.