Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Complicated many-to-many relationships

Hi All,

Could anyone suggest an idea how to build below relationships. 

I have two data tables - vwJournal and Details. 

Both have 5 similar fields: 

* Posted date time

* Approved date

* Department

* PostedBy

* ApprovedBy

I need to have five different slicers on report per each of these five fields. All these slicers should interact with each of two data tables (each of two are just different aggregations of initial data).

Example,

I filter on Posted Date and then it affects vwJournal and Details. And other 4 filters as well. For instance filter PostedBy should see only values which are related to dates I've selected in Posted Date.

Here is working diagram below. But it is not filtering me PostedBy based on PostedDate.

many-to-manymany-to-many

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@zoloturu,

Do you mean that when you select value in PostBy slicer, the values in Posted date time slicer is not filterd? If so, this is because that the cross filter direction of relationship between vwJournal and PostDate table is single.

When you  set cross filter direction of relationship between vwJournal and PostDate table from  “Single”  to “Both”, Posted date time slicer will be filtered.

However, once you change the cross filter direction for vwJournal and PostDate, you are not able to change cross filter direction of relationship among other tables as you will get the following warning.
1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft,

I understand that. I'm flexible in solution to achieve below two options:

1) I need to have 5 filters which will automatically apply to each of two independent sources

2) When I select date period in PostedDate then PostedBy automatically fit to list of people who was on that period. 

Example about #2,

If I filter on PostedDate between Jan and Apr then:

* ApprovedDate should show  24-Jan-18, 14-Mar-18, 28-Apr-18

* Department should show only Dept 1

* PostedBy should show only John, Jane and James

* ApprovedBy should show only Maryna, May, Marta

PostedDateApprovedDateDepartmentPostedByApprovedBy
1-Jan-1824-Jan-18Dept 1JohnMaryna
18-Feb-1814-Mar-18Dept 1JaneMay
7-Apr-1828-Apr-18Dept 1JamesMarta
25-May-1828-Aug-18Dept 1JackobMax
12-Jul-1819-Oct-18Dept 2JoelMaria
29-Aug-1825-Sep-18Dept 2JordanMargo

Let me know if this not clear.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.