Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

facilitydax
Frequent Visitor

Complex long term forecasting

Hi, I have long term forecasting algorithms built into my power bi file through various measures. For example, for a facility I can predict out the projected condition (1-100) over time which shows a lifecycle curve of the building. I've also built "standards" into the model where if a building falls below certain standards, it's flagged for either new construction, restoration, etc... What I want to do now is be able to put in a budget (for example an annual restoration budget = $1M) and forecast out over time if my backlog will continue to grow or if that's an adequate budget. If I were doing this in excel, I'd sort (descending) my buildings by a prioritization index of importance (which I do have), then do a cumulative sum of restoration cost, and when my cumulative sum hit the $1M budget, then that would be my first year of funded restoration projects. Then I start at the next building and continue going down my list in $1M chunks to get my long term forecasting plan. However, I can't think of how to accomplish this in Power BI dynamically. Any suggestions on where to start?

3 REPLIES 3
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @facilitydax ,

Here is my sample data.

1-1.PNG

The "Rank" and "Agg" column is make newly. 

RANK =
RANKX ( TABLE1, TABLE1[Budget],, DESC, DENSE )
Agg =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( TABLE1[Budget] ),
    FILTER ( TABLE1, TABLE1[RANK] <= EARLIER ( TABLE1[RANK] ) )
)

Then you can get your forecasting plan every 1M dollars.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

So here's where I'm at with my testing.  I have "RankTest" which is ranking based on the PrioritizationScore_v2 which is working fine. However, like I stated before, I'm having trouble with my running total since I'm ordering this running total by a measure. You can see in the last column of this table (Agg_Test), the Unconstrained_event(cost) is not totalling cumulatively like I want. 

rankscreenshot.jpg

Here's the Agg_Test measure:

Agg_Test = 
CALCULATE(
	[UNCONSTRAINED_EVENT(COST)],
	FILTER(
		ALLSELECTED('ISR-MASTER-ALLOCATION'[RPUIDCATCODE]),
		ISONORAFTER([RankTest], MAXX('ISR-MASTER-ALLOCATION', [RankTest]), ASC)
	)
)

@v-eachen-msft , Thanks for the reply. In theory this approach should get me started. However, I've had some problems trying something like this since Rank is a measure and my Budget is also a measure.  Therefore, I can't do a simple "sum" on the budget and I can't use the "earlier" function for the Rank. 

Any thoughts on getting around these two things?  I could do a SUMX for the budget part but still not sure how to handle the "earlier" function on a measure.

Thanks! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.