Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ubertortle
Frequent Visitor

Complex calculation

Hello,

I am attempting to put together some calculations and am having trouble thinking of a way to accomplish it.

I need to display the quarterly cost of a contract. My entries have a start date and an end date. The problem is that the end date sometimes goes into the next quarter. So in order for my quarterly cost to be accurate, I need to separate the entry at the end of the quarter point. I am calculating the cost by the number of weeks in the date range, multiplied by the hours per week, multiplied by the hourly rate. So I am unsure of how I can set it up so that these entries show their cost distributed across all the quarters that the entry takes place in.

6 REPLIES 6
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Ubertortle Read this post to get your answer quickly.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Here is a screenshot of the columns I am trying to work with.

table.PNG

weeks between "expected start" and "expected end" * "Hours per week" * "Cost per hour" = total cost

Basically, I need to calculate the total cost for each entry/contract that I can filter by quarter. I am having trouble figuring out how to distinguish what amount of the total cost pertains to what quarter using the "expected start date" and "expected end date"

hi, @Ubertortle 

Wasn't 100% clear what you were looking for,  but this post should what you want

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Periodic-Billing/m-p/409365

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Track-the-Workload-by-counting-the-number-of-in-progress-ta...

If not your case, please share the expected output as below:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the replies, 

So I can get my total calculated cost for each entry by calculating the DATEDIFF of "expected start date" and "expected end date""hours per week""cost per hour". As seen here

calculated.PNG

What I am attempting to do is to display these total costs in a visual, but have the total cost for each entry distributed across all quarters that fall within the date range.

graph.PNG

I guess more specifically my issue is that I don't know how I can indicate on each entry what quarters pertain to what part of the cost. 

If I pull the quarter from the "expected start date" like this

quart.PNG

the total cost is displayed for just that quarter. The same if I pull the quarter from the "expected end date". 

somthing.PNG

If I could turn each entry into something like this, I would be able to display it properly. Is there some sort of functions that will allow me to split a single entry into multiple if the date range spans over multiple quarters?

@Ubertortle based on dataset you provided, what is your expected result. Can you put this in excel with calculations you are looking for. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.