Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Complex PowerQuery Merge query using substrings

Hi @ImkeF

This solution was very helpful. Really grateful. I have a question regarding the type of join. I would like to use a full outer join, in order to see all rows from the First and Second. I tried this, but I still keep getting only all rows from the second table. Is there a way to get around this

=Table.SelectRows(Table.Buffer(Table1), (FullOuter) => Text.StartsWith([Column2], FullOuter[Columns]))

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Yes, the "Inner" is just a random name for the "inner" of the nested functions in that command. So you can name it anything and it wouldn't change the result.

If you want to have a full outer, you can simply perform a full outer after that first operation (and merge the results of the 2 columns together)

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thank you!

what's the difference between inner and outer? are those the join kinds? or is something like "earlier" in DAX?

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Yes, it's like EARLIER in DAX 🙂

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
May 2020 Community Highlights

May 2020 Community Highlights

It’s time for another PBI Community recap!

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Using the Community

Using the Community

Need help with the Power BI Community? Our 'Using the Community' support articles are a great place to start.

Galleries

Galleries

Looking for inspiration on how to present your data? Need instructional videos? Check out our Galleries!

Top Solution Authors