Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kkanda
Resolver I
Resolver I

Compile Running Total in Custom column in Query Editor

I am working on compiling the cumulative total for FAULT_OPS of equipment over a period of 4 years. The reading is taken monthly and the FAULT_OPS counter is reset. So we have the count for that month only. The table consists of 220 K readings for 6400 Measuring Points. Each Measuring Point corresponds to a specific Euipment No and a Characteristic. The table below shows the readings for two Characteristics for one Equipment No for various months.

CHARACTERISTIC

READ_DATE

READING

MEASURING_POINT

FAULT_OPS

OTHER

FAULT_OPS

OTHER

FAULT_OPS

OTHER

Between each set of the Readings for one Equipment, there are thousands of Readings for other Equipment Nos with different MEASURING_POINT numbers taken during the same month.

We need to create a new Column in Query Editor. Sort the table in Ascending order for the READ_DATE starting from month 201701. Compile a custom function for this new Column which will show the running total of FAULT_OPS for each MEASURING_POINT.

I am at a loss how to include all these conditions in IF.. ELSE statement for the Custom Column.

Please advise me how to go about it and suggest a solution.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I searched the internet and the post by Philip Treacy helped me resolve the issue. The reference is:

https://www.myonlinetraininghub.com/grouped-running-totals-in-power-query

It has taken some time for the query to run probably due to the large number of records, but this was done. Thanks to the author for a detailed explanation of the various steps in the query.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kkanda ,

According to the error message, please refer the method in this thread to get the actual error cause. And please try the method in the following links and check whether they can help you get the expected result.

Grouped Running Totals in Power Query

How to do a running Sum by group in Power Query?

In addition, you can create a measure as below by DAX to get it:

Culmulative = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Table'[READING] ),
    FILTER (
        ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ),
        'Table'[MEASURING_POINT] = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[MEASURING_POINT] )
            && 'Table'[READ_DATE] <= SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[READ_DATE] )
    )
)

yingyinr_0-1619147163078.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
kkanda
Resolver I
Resolver I

On searching the internet, I found the following Custom function to apply for compiling the running total for each group:-

= (MyTable as table, SumColumn as text, GroupColumn as text) as table =>
let
   Source = Table.Buffer(MyTable),
   TableType = Value.Type(Table.AddColumn(Source, "Running Sum", each null, type number)),
   Cumulative = List.Skip(List.Accumulate(Table.Column(Source,SumColumn),{0}, 
             (cumulative,SumColumn) => cumulative & {List.Last(cumulative) + SumColumn})),
   AddedRunningSum = Table.FromColumns(Table.ToColumns(Source)&{Cumulative},TableType),
   RemoveGroupColumn = Table.RemoveColumns(AddedRunningSum,{GroupColumn}),
   FunctionResult = RemoveGroupColumn
in
   FunctionResult

I applied this function with the parameters as the source Table as Table, READING as SumColumn and MEASURING_POINT as GroupColumn. I get the error "Evaluation resulted in a stack overflow and cannot continue".

The query runs for some time before the above error appears.

Is this happening because the table has about 220K rows and 6K groups?

I searched the internet and the post by Philip Treacy helped me resolve the issue. The reference is:

https://www.myonlinetraininghub.com/grouped-running-totals-in-power-query

It has taken some time for the query to run probably due to the large number of records, but this was done. Thanks to the author for a detailed explanation of the various steps in the query.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.