Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

powerbisach
Helper I
Helper I

Comparison reporting on quater and YTD basis.

Hi All,

I have a sample data...Which has companies, KPI parameters to compare along with data of all the quaters.

Companies

KPI parameters

Quarter

Diff with previous year 

% Diff with previous year 

A

KPI1

Q1

A

KPI2

Q1

B

KPI1

Q2

B

KPI2

Q2

What i need is to show comparison of companies on KPI parameters selection for Last 6 quaters

And report showing comparison of KPI's for 2 companies for Last 2 years.

I am new to powerbi and need a starting base to solve this problem. Note data is in excel and data is updated when a quater is completed. how to go on with this problem. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks for your support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @powerbisach,

First, please unpivot columns to get above table structure mentioned in my above post. Then, insert a Matrix visual, add relative fields, drill down to the Year-Quarter level.

1.PNG

If you want to filter records for a specific company, you could use visual filter in the right panel. Add the column you want to filter to this area, from the drop down list, select any value you want.

2.PNG

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @powerbisach,

According to current description, I was not clear about your requirement. Are above columns including 'Diff with previous year' and '% Diff with previous year' all existing fields in source table? Then, what is your desired result? How do you want to compare the values based on quarter? Could you illustrate your requirement with some examples?

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi v-yulgu-msft

I have 2 and more companies...having KPI parameters 2 and more....Each KPI is having Values for each quaters...

so basically i want to Compare

Company A = KPI parameter1, KPI parameter2...having values for Q1,Q2,Q3,Q4 with Company B for same parameters and quaters...hope it does make sense...

Its basically comparing company A with company B on some parameters which is having values every quaters...

Hi @powerbisach,

Based on my assumption, perhaps you could try Clustered column chart.

First, if above image represents your source table structure, you should first unpivot it in Query Editor mode. Select columns [Companies], [KPI parameter] and [Quarter] at the same time, then, unpivot other columns like below.

1.PNG

You will get this result.

2.PNG

Return back to visual mode, insert a clustered column chart. 

3.PNG

Not sure whether this meets your requirement. If I have something misunderstood, you could show us your desired output that you can get in Excel.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Hi v-yulgu-msft

Thanks for your time and reply. Much appreciated

My output should look like comparision of 2 companies KPI as 

Company.png

It's actually showing Comparision on same page(Tabular form is fine no need of graphs). I have lots of companies...so i need feasibility to change Company B to any other company. Also i would like to show last 3 quaters along with current quater...so i am not sure how to achieve all this. Do i need to use measure..If yes where and how.

Hi @powerbisach,

First, please unpivot columns to get above table structure mentioned in my above post. Then, insert a Matrix visual, add relative fields, drill down to the Year-Quarter level.

1.PNG

If you want to filter records for a specific company, you could use visual filter in the right panel. Add the column you want to filter to this area, from the drop down list, select any value you want.

2.PNG

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Hi v-yulgu-msft,

Thanks for your help.

Your solution actually display correct data. But the challenge is

1. The User should have a choice to select the companies he want to compare (in terms of visualization), so visual filters do not make sense.

2. Currently it displays all the quarters data, will it be possible to show only last 3 quarters data..

Hi @powerbisach,

The User should have a choice to select the companies he want to compare (in terms of visualization), so visual filters do not make sense.

Instead of visual filters, you could add a slicer for users to select. You could create two exactly same matrix visual, one is always showing data of company A, another one shows data based on slicer selection. 

Currently it displays all the quarters data, will it be possible to show only last 3 quarters data..

Here is a similar thread for your reference: show past 4 quarters data

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Hi v-yulgu-msft, (Yuliana )

Thanks for your replies over past few days. Much appreciated. 

1. Instead of Visual filters, I used 2 different slicers and used edit interactions option to get the results. It's a better solution since i can use any companies in both the slicers.

2. For quarter solution i am still struggeling and need to find a solution.

Nevertheless i am truly thankful to you for showing me a right direction to fulfill my needs. Much appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.