Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

elJukes
Helper I
Helper I

Comparing the same field in a Matrix visual

Hi there

I have a table of data:

Individual IDGroupYearTest AreaTest TypeOutcome
1Alpha16LanguageTest AAT
1Alpha16LanguageTest BABV
1Alpha16LanguageTest CABV
1Charlie15LanguageTest AAT
1Charlie15LanguageTest BABV
1Charlie15LanguageTest CBLW
2Alpha16LanguageTest ABLW
2Alpha16LanguageTest BBLW
2Alpha16LanguageTest CAT
3Alpha16LanguageTest AAT
3Alpha16LanguageTest BAT
3Alpha16LanguageTest CAT
4Bravo16LanguageTest AABV
4Bravo16LanguageTest BAT
4Bravo16LanguageTest CABV
5Bravo17LanguageTest AAT
5Bravo17LanguageTest BABV
5Bravo17LanguageTest CBLW

What I'd like to be able to do is this:

For everyone in group Alpha, in year 16, where the test area is Language count the number of people who were ABV/AT/BLW and are now ABV/AT/BLW like this:

Untitled.png

I'd like to be able to use slicers to change the Group, Year and Test Area the information in the chart relates to. Essentially I want to see if individuals achieve different outcomes from Test A -> Test B -> Test C or maybe from Test A -> Test C.

An inidvidual can only be in one group, but can have outcomes from several years. Individuals will also have outcomes for different test areas and different test types. The outcomes themselves are limited to just ABV, AT or BLW.

I've considered several ways of doing it but have problems with each:

Firstly add a series of columns to the data table or pivot the data table so the Test Types become columns containing their respective Outcomes. This would allow me to compare results within the same year but not across years using filtering. I also need to keep the datatable in its original format for a different type of analysis within the same report.

Secondly create a series of subtables in DAX, with one table for each Test Type. This works in conjunction with an 'Individuals' table that contains their ID and the Group they are attached to, but I then lack the ability to filter down to a specific group & year combination.

Please help!

2 REPLIES 2
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@elJukes,

You may drag multiple fields(Year, Test Type, Outcome) to Columns of the Matrix visual and drill down on columns.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-chuncz-msft

Thanks for your advice. I've had a go at using drilldown and didn't manage to get the matrix looking like I need.

As a work around I duplicated the data table so I could map Test A results from table 1 against Test B results from table 2. It works but it means DAX having to duplicate the entire dataset at every refresh, which doesn't sound efficient to me.

Could you advise how to use drilldown to get the figures I'm looking for, or if there's a better way of getting the result?

Thanks

Sam

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.