Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Comparing sales on different launch dates

Hi,

I want to compare products launched on products that have been launched on different dates and show the sales the first 16 weeks in a chart. I've identified the launch date with a "firstnonblank" dax code, but now I have no idea how I can go on from there. 

Somehow I need to set the time period prior the launch data to the first entry on the x-axis and then the launch date to the next and so on...

Please help!

Br Kent

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I want to compare products launched on products that have been launched on different dates and show the sales the first 16 weeks in a chart. I've identified the launch date with a "firstnonblank" dax code, but now I have no idea how I can go on from there. 

Somehow I need to set the time period prior the launch data to the first entry on the x-axis and then the launch date to the next and so on...

Please help!

Br Kent

@Anonymous

You may need a calendar table as below.

dimdate =
VAR Tbl =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        CALENDAR ( "2016-01-01", "2017-12-31" ),
        "WeekInYear", CONCATENATE ( YEAR ( [Date] ), RIGHT ( "0" & WEEKNUM ( [Date] ), 2 ) )
    )
RETURN
    ADDCOLUMNS ( Tbl, "WeekNoOverYears", RANKX ( Tbl, [WeekInYear],, ASC, DENSE ) )

Capture.PNG

Then connect your products(launch date) table to this calendar table(date). To calculate the first 16 weeks sales after launch, use a measure as 

sales =
VAR LaunchWeekNo =
    MIN ( 'dimdate'[WeekNoOverYears] )
VAR TargetWeekNo = LaunchWeekNo + 15
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'sales table'[sales] ),
        FILTER (
            'sales table',
            'sales table'[sales date] >= MIN ( 'products table'[launch date] )
                && 'sales table'[sales date]
                    <= MAXX (
                        FILTER ( ALL ( 'dimdate' ), 'dimdate'[WeekNoOverYears] = TargetWeekNo ),
                        'dimdate'[date]
                    )
        )
    )

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

Please help!

Br Kent

@Anonymous

You may need a calendar table as below.

dimdate =
VAR Tbl =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        CALENDAR ( "2016-01-01", "2017-12-31" ),
        "WeekInYear", CONCATENATE ( YEAR ( [Date] ), RIGHT ( "0" & WEEKNUM ( [Date] ), 2 ) )
    )
RETURN
    ADDCOLUMNS ( Tbl, "WeekNoOverYears", RANKX ( Tbl, [WeekInYear],, ASC, DENSE ) )

Capture.PNG

Then connect your products(launch date) table to this calendar table(date). To calculate the first 16 weeks sales after launch, use a measure as 

sales =
VAR LaunchWeekNo =
    MIN ( 'dimdate'[WeekNoOverYears] )
VAR TargetWeekNo = LaunchWeekNo + 15
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'sales table'[sales] ),
        FILTER (
            'sales table',
            'sales table'[sales date] >= MIN ( 'products table'[launch date] )
                && 'sales table'[sales date]
                    <= MAXX (
                        FILTER ( ALL ( 'dimdate' ), 'dimdate'[WeekNoOverYears] = TargetWeekNo ),
                        'dimdate'[date]
                    )
        )
    )

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous

Can you post some sample data in excel file and share the link.  Also what is thee final char t/ output you except.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors