Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Comparing sales on different launch dates

Hi,

I want to compare products launched on products that have been launched on different dates and show the sales the first 16 weeks in a chart. I've identified the launch date with a "firstnonblank" dax code, but now I have no idea how I can go on from there. 

Somehow I need to set the time period prior the launch data to the first entry on the x-axis and then the launch date to the next and so on...

Please help!

Br Kent

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I want to compare products launched on products that have been launched on different dates and show the sales the first 16 weeks in a chart. I've identified the launch date with a "firstnonblank" dax code, but now I have no idea how I can go on from there. 

Somehow I need to set the time period prior the launch data to the first entry on the x-axis and then the launch date to the next and so on...

Please help!

Br Kent

@Anonymous

You may need a calendar table as below.

dimdate =
VAR Tbl =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        CALENDAR ( "2016-01-01", "2017-12-31" ),
        "WeekInYear", CONCATENATE ( YEAR ( [Date] ), RIGHT ( "0" & WEEKNUM ( [Date] ), 2 ) )
    )
RETURN
    ADDCOLUMNS ( Tbl, "WeekNoOverYears", RANKX ( Tbl, [WeekInYear],, ASC, DENSE ) )

Capture.PNG

Then connect your products(launch date) table to this calendar table(date). To calculate the first 16 weeks sales after launch, use a measure as 

sales =
VAR LaunchWeekNo =
    MIN ( 'dimdate'[WeekNoOverYears] )
VAR TargetWeekNo = LaunchWeekNo + 15
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'sales table'[sales] ),
        FILTER (
            'sales table',
            'sales table'[sales date] >= MIN ( 'products table'[launch date] )
                && 'sales table'[sales date]
                    <= MAXX (
                        FILTER ( ALL ( 'dimdate' ), 'dimdate'[WeekNoOverYears] = TargetWeekNo ),
                        'dimdate'[date]
                    )
        )
    )

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

Please help!

Br Kent

@Anonymous

You may need a calendar table as below.

dimdate =
VAR Tbl =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        CALENDAR ( "2016-01-01", "2017-12-31" ),
        "WeekInYear", CONCATENATE ( YEAR ( [Date] ), RIGHT ( "0" & WEEKNUM ( [Date] ), 2 ) )
    )
RETURN
    ADDCOLUMNS ( Tbl, "WeekNoOverYears", RANKX ( Tbl, [WeekInYear],, ASC, DENSE ) )

Capture.PNG

Then connect your products(launch date) table to this calendar table(date). To calculate the first 16 weeks sales after launch, use a measure as 

sales =
VAR LaunchWeekNo =
    MIN ( 'dimdate'[WeekNoOverYears] )
VAR TargetWeekNo = LaunchWeekNo + 15
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'sales table'[sales] ),
        FILTER (
            'sales table',
            'sales table'[sales date] >= MIN ( 'products table'[launch date] )
                && 'sales table'[sales date]
                    <= MAXX (
                        FILTER ( ALL ( 'dimdate' ), 'dimdate'[WeekNoOverYears] = TargetWeekNo ),
                        'dimdate'[date]
                    )
        )
    )

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous

Can you post some sample data in excel file and share the link.  Also what is thee final char t/ output you except.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.