Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jpeterson
Regular Visitor

Comparing data to series of column titles to return other data

I have a direct query with many columns.  One column is "Workflow Current State."  I need to take the data in that column and compare it to 5 other columns (titled "Owner", "Approver 1", etc.) to return the results of whatever is in those other 5 columns. 

For example, if the Workflow Current State is "Approver 1," I need it to return the fact that Mary in the "Approver 1" column elsewhere in the query. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks, that helps.

I think it would help to have a fact table that had a link to the document, a date, and an approver name

with one record each time the document moved to a different approver.

Then to get the document's current location you just retrieve the max date for that document and get that record.

A table like that would also let you do a lot of cool stuff because it would know how long the document is taking at each approver.

But,

It looks like you could also just add a calculated column with a 3 part nested IF()

IF(not(isblank(approver 3 name)),approver 3 name,
         IF(not(isblank(approver 2 name)),approver 2 name,
                 IF(not(isblank(approver 1 name)),approver 1name,
                          "")))
they are tricky to write (not sure all my parentheses match in this example, but straightforward in their logic.

Power BI is easy to learn, but it has hard parts.
I'm a personal Power Bi Trainer I learn something every time I answer a question

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!

Join the conversation at We Talk BI find out more about me at Slow BI

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jpeterson ,

Have your problem be solved? Please consider accept the answer as a solution if it worked.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @jpeterson

Ypu need to use a switch formula something similar to this

Column = SWITCH(
TABLE[WORK FLOW CURRENT STATE] ;
"VALUE 1" ; TABLE[COLUMN1] ;
"VALUE 2" ; TABLE[COLUMN2] ;
"VALUE 3" ; TABLE[COLUMN3] ;
"VALUE 4" ; TABLE[COLUMN4] ;
"VALUE 5" ; TABLE[COLUMN5]
)

Should give expected result.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I can't tell for sure with what you've told us, but I suspect you have issues in your data model that will cause the DAX you need to write to be much more complicated...

So one way to address the problem is to look at your data model

the other way would be to write a DAX forumla that

1) gets the current value (the value in the row being processed) from Workflow current state and

2) uses that value to look up values in the five other columns using, perhaps, LOOKUPVALUE()

3) returns the result to ? its now clear what you want to do if you find matches in the other 5 columns.

If you'd like to provide some small sample tables, or upload a sample power bi file, I'll take a closer look.

I would also be open to a screen share later this afternoon... sometimes problems like this are symptoms of a variety of issues all at once, and its easier to address those in a screen share. If that seems like it might be helpful email me ken@8thfold.com

Power BI is easy to learn, but it has hard parts.
I'm a personal Power Bi Trainer I learn something every time I answer a question

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!