Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarcUrdang
Post Patron
Post Patron

Comparing a field from one table with a field from another table. ie IF(X=Y,"true","false")

Please can you advise how to compare a filed in one table to a field in another table. ie If(x=y,"true","false"

18 REPLIES 18
kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

The simplest way is to create a realtionship between the tables. Have you tried that ? Then you can write your forumla in a calculated column.

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!

Join the conversation at We Talk BI find out more about me at Slow BI

Hi .. thank you for your response.... sure I have .. I use fieds from there in a number of calcs. 

I could attach the workbook for you to see? 

thanks

Marc

actually not in calcs .. just in the views

I'm just starting to build so now much to see .. basically there is a field called Names Saiing Day in the Carrier Info table and a calculated field called 'Weekly FLL ETD ATD' in the Consol Inbound Tabl ...  which I need to compare with the Names Sailing Day from the Carrier Ino Table

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XBPsyU1Vt3bZLTALw-1_3jtqLFTjTv1U

I found 2 things.

One is you have a many to many relationship between the tables. That might be confusing things. I deleted the existing relationship and was able to recreate it as one to manyonetomany.png

The other thing I notice is that when i try to include the names sailing day field in a measure it was not available in the intelisense list2019-10-06 (2).png

so it looks like there is something funny with that column, since it should be available

because i don't have the underlying data i can't see the data type in the query editor but look at this posting which suggests that an inappropriate data type can block the column from being used. https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Relationship-with-date-table-not-working/td-p/149052

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Join the conversation at We Talk BI find out more about me at Slow BI

Hi .. I have attached the underlying data .. and will look at the data type as you suggested. Does the underlying data highlight anything?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1THu5ngP3bWG3tYztjC8QnWNnA1HUOaWR

tx

Marc

I think I've gone as far as I can. The issue on the interface level is that the calculated column does not show up as available for either other calculated columns or measures. I tried calculating a numeric day of the week instead of a string and that didn't help. I don't think I can go farther over email. If you want to invest the time to do a screen share we could have a conversation, but I can't promise any results. At this point I would fall back and try loading a simpler table that had only some identifying fields and the day of the week. Create a relationship to it and see if the day of the week field shows up in the intellisense. If it does, then gradually expand the "simple" version out to be the full table you want to load, checking as you go to see where it "dissappears". Thanks for the responses, it's been interesting.