Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Han_Solo
Helper I
Helper I

Comparing SKU average with Category Average

Hello,

I'm reaching to you because I've encountered some problem I have hard time to solve. Either is really simple and I cannot come up with solution or it's pretty tricky.

I want to calculate Average Price for SKU and Compare it to average price of category for some group of SKUs. Best to show will be the matrix in rows I have [Category High], [Category Low], [SKU]

image.png

Average for SKU:

AVG_SKU = CALCULATE(SUM(searchspring[Price]) / SUM(searchspring[Inventory Count]))

and to the matrix I added average for category which fits to me:
AVG_CAT = CALCULATE([AVG_SKU], ALLEXCEPT(searchspring, searchspring[Category High], searchspring[Category Low]))

In matrix with category hierarchy it works perfectly fine. But I need to depict it on the stacked bar chart on which I have only SKU on axis. So simulating this on matrix would be only [SKU] in ROWS section 

image.png

Problem is that on the matrix with hierarchy AVG_SKU shows average for SKU and AVG_CAT shows average for [Category High] > [Category Low] hierarchy but in the matrix where only [SKU] column is in the rows, AVG_CAT shows the average for everything. So any chart like stacked bar chart which I need to use would depict the values the same way. 

Of course it's understandable for me and I get it why it shows average for everything not for particular category hierarchy (context) but is there a solution to show something like this?

I mean to show on chart/matrix with only [SKU] on rows average for mentioned category hierarchy?
For example if I have sku HEH-2223 I would like to have 2.36 instead of 4.42 (for AVG_CAT)?

Probably I could add calculated column with this but I use live connaction with SQL Analysis Services so I would prefer to use measures only. 

Thank you in advance for your help.

EDIT:
file:

download here from wetransfer 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Han_Solo try this measure, it will get you what you are looking for.

Would appreciate Kudos 🙂 if my solution helped.

AVG_CAT_LOW = 
VAR __low = MAX ( searchspring[Category Low] )
RETURN
CALCULATE( 
    [AVG_SKU],
    ALL ( searchspring[SKU], searchspring[Category Low]), 
    searchspring[Category Low] = __low 
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @Han_Solo ,

Try these:

Category Average = 
CALCULATE (
    AVERAGE ( 'searchspring'[Value] ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( 'searchspring', 'searchspring'[Category High] )
)

SKU Average = 
CALCULATE (
    AVERAGE ( 'searchspring'[Value] ),
    ALLEXCEPT (
        'searchspring',
        'searchspring'[Category High],
        'searchspring'[Category Low]
    )
)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

@danextian 

Thank you but in your calculation the only difference is the sum function and divide changed for average which does not help at all. I don't need to calculate average based on the count of rows but on the number of items. 

Is Item a separate column from SKU/High Level Category? And the average is based on the sum of each item divided  by the number of unique items like below?

Item Value Row Count
Item10 790 20
Item19 40 5
Item02 42 16
Average                290.67  

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

@danextian 

If I understand you correctly i think that is separate. 

Average is calculate by the sum of value for item divided by column with number of items 

@Han_Solo try this measure, it will get you what you are looking for.

Would appreciate Kudos 🙂 if my solution helped.

AVG_CAT_LOW = 
VAR __low = MAX ( searchspring[Category Low] )
RETURN
CALCULATE( 
    [AVG_SKU],
    ALL ( searchspring[SKU], searchspring[Category Low]), 
    searchspring[Category Low] = __low 
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Thank you, works flawless! @parry2k 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Han_Solo can you share samle pbix file (remove sensitive data before sharing)

Here you have.  

@parry2k 

The date is in the link for wetransfer 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors