Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Budfudder
Helper IV
Helper IV

Comparing Estimate To Actual - Using Two Dates

We have a series of opportunities that represent possible deals, and each has an estimated value and an estimated close date. So at any time I can look at the open opportunities, their estimated values and estimated close dates and say "Okay, on June 1st (for example), we should have $234,153 in sales". Then, on June 1st, I can go and look at the actual value of all the opportunities closed and compare the estimated with the actual. The estimated value and the actual value fields are, of course, different fields.

So I need to be able to select two dates (or a date range) and say "Give me the estimated income shown on the first date...and the actual income shown on the second date". 

I've been trying to use a date slicer and manually get the first and last dates of the period that the user sets it to and use those as the two dates, but that doesn't work - I can't even work out how to get those dates. And it seems a really cumbersome approach anyway.

What's the best way to do this? I feel like I'm missing something.

4 REPLIES 4
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Budfudder

Does your dataset look like the table below

deals	estimated value	  estimated close date	  actual value	  actual date
1	1	          1/1/2018	          2	          1/2/2018
2	2	          1/2/2018	          3	          1/3/2018
3	3	          1/3/2018	          1	          1/4/2018
4	4	          1/4/2018	          2	          1/4/2018
5	5	          1/5/2018	          3	          1/3/2018
6	6	          1/6/2018	          6	          1/7/2018

Then when you select a date range or a certain date, it should show the sum of estimated value and actual value for all deals(opportunities) ->here i'm not sure it should be all deals or for each deal?

Please let me know more clearly.

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

THat's a good example of how the data looks - except that some values won't have 'actual date' at all - meaning they haven't yet closed.

The final figure would be the sum of all deals closed since the first date

So, for example, if the user chose a first date of 1/5 and a second date of 1/7, then the the value for deal 5 in your table wouldn't be included, because although it has an estimated close date of 1/5, its actual date was 1/3 - outside the period 1/5-1/7.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Sample data would be very helpful. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

That being said, take a look at these two Quick Measures as I think you want something like them.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Open-Tickets/m-p/409364
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Periodic-Billing/m-p/409365

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks Greg. I'm looking at the two links you gave, and they will help. But I feel the biggest problem is being able to pick off the dates the user has input.

How can I allow the user to select a date period and get from that selection the actual dates to use in DAX expressions?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.