Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Comparing Datasets then Replacing

Hi!

I have a dataset with a list of Employees and a work area that they belong to (A,B, or C) called Active Employees.

Each week I would like to download a new Active Employees and compare it to the old one. Then generate a list of employees who have changed work areas compared to the previous list.

Then I would like to delete the old list and keep the new list for the next comparison.

How would I go about doing this?

Thank you in advance for the help!

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the information!

I'm new to PowerBI so how would I "backup" the data?

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

What's your data source? Does it support to backup data as what you want? If it does, it may help achieve your requirements.

One example, before each data change, the data source will back up the original data. Then you can both import the backup data and the changed data. And then compare them in Power BI.

To my knowledge, Power BI doesn't support to backup data before each refresh. It only supports to backup and restore for datasets in Power BI Premium and Premium per User (PPU). But this doesn't meet your requirements.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

To my knowledge, Power BI doesn't support to hold any historical data after refreshing. Therefore it can't tell whether the record has changed.

If you can bcakup data before refreshing at the data source, then you can compare the two tables to identify which record has changed.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.