Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

newbie2181

Compare value with average value from last 4 same weekdays

Hello,

I have a set of data (columns: day, day_name, value, increase) that looks something like this:

08-SepTuesday20013%
09-SepWednesday150-6%
10-SepThursday20023%
11-SepFriday100-38%
12-SepSaturday20023%
13-SepSunday150-8%
14-SepMonday120-26%
15-SepTuesday1801%
16-SepWednesday20025%
17-SepThursday18011%
18-SepFriday20023%
19-SepSaturday100-38%
20-SepSunday20023%
21-SepMonday1505%
22-SepTuesday2001%
23-SepWednesday19522%
24-SepThursday20018%
25-SepFriday150-8%
26-SepSaturday20023%
27-SepSunday100-38%
28-SepMonday140-2%
29-SepTuesday190-4%
30-SepWednesday2009%
01-OctThursday19012%
02-OctFriday20023%
03-OctSaturday1705%
04-OctSunday20023%
05-OctMonday14010%
06-OctTuesday2004%

Increase is the percentage increase (or decrease) between the value from a specific day and the average of (the value from 7 days ago, the value from 14 days ago, the value from 21 days ago and the value from 28 days ago). In other words, if looking at the last row (tuesday, 6 oct), the 4% is the percentage increase between the 200 value and the average from the value from last tuesday, 2 tuesdays ago, 3 tuesdays ago and 4 tuesdays ago - the values in red, basically. The formula for Increase is therefore (value - average)/average.

I am having difficulties computing this average and therefore obtaining these percentages in my PBI table (the increase %s from above have been obtained by manual calculation in Excel). Could you give me a hint to get me started?

Thank you for your time!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@newbie2181 ,

Try measures like these with a date table

7 behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-7,DAy))
14 behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-14,DAy))
21 behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-21,DAy))

diff =
var _cnt = if(isblank([7 behind Sales]),0,1)+if(isblank([14 behind Sales]),0,1)+if(isblank([21 behind Sales]),0,1)
var _last3 = ([7 behind Sales]+[14 behind Sales]+[21 behind Sales]) /_cnt
return
divide([sales] - (_last3 ),_last3)

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions

Appreciate your Kudos.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@newbie2181 ,

Try measures like these with a date table

7 behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-7,DAy))
14 behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-14,DAy))
21 behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-21,DAy))

diff =
var _cnt = if(isblank([7 behind Sales]),0,1)+if(isblank([14 behind Sales]),0,1)+if(isblank([21 behind Sales]),0,1)
var _last3 = ([7 behind Sales]+[14 behind Sales]+[21 behind Sales]) /_cnt
return
divide([sales] - (_last3 ),_last3)

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions

Appreciate your Kudos.

Hi! Thank you for your answer. Almost everything worked just fine, I'm now wondering why haven't I thought of creating  measurements for each of the steps in my calculation.

I have an issue though, I was wondering in your suggested 7 behind sales formulae, shoulen't you have "told" power bi somehow to give you the Sales[Sales Amount] value only when Date[Date]=Sales[Date]? In other words, shouldn't this have been something like 

7 behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),Sales[Date]=dateadd('Date'[Date],-7,DAy)) instead? (PS: Tried, doesn't work, it gives an error saying DATEADD function can't be used in a True/False expression)

Just to mention, I have created a Date calendar, set it as date and linked 'Date'[Date] to 'Sales'[Date].

Also, another question - why have you used the SUM function inside CALCULATE? I was thinking that at this stage we're only trying to find the value from 7 days ago, not add it to something else. I'm sorry if my questions seem silly, I'm still new to Power BI and still getting my head round it. 🙂

Hi! Thank you for your answer. Almost everything worked just fine, I'm now wondering why haven't I thought of creating  measurements for each of the steps in my calculation.

I have an issue though, I was wondering in your suggested 7 behind sales formulae, shoulen't you have "told" power bi somehow to give you the Sales[Sales Amount] value only when Date[Date]=Sales[Date]? In other words, shouldn't this have been something like 7 behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),Sales[Date]=dateadd('Date'[Date],-7,DAy)) instead? (PS: Tried, doesn't work, it gives an error saying DATEADD function can't be used in a True/False expression)

Just to mention, I have created a Date calendar, set it as date and linked 'Date'[Date] to 'Sales'[Date].

Also, another question - why have you used the SUM function inside CALCULATE? I was thinking that at this stage we're only trying to find the value from 7 days ago, not add it to something else. I'm sorry if my questions seem silly, I'm still new to Power BI and still getting my head round it 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.