Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

labontyk

Compare semesters-registration fall 2015 to fall 2014

I work at a college and have a term (semester) field, an example would be 2014fall and 2015fall.  The terms started on different dates (off a few days each year say 2014 was 10/11 and 2015 was 10/14).  I have a slicer set up to show 2014fall and 2015 fall on a cluster column chart.  Now I want to compare them.  They show up in the graph as two separte mini graphs (one in 2014 and one in 2015) because the x axis has dates, when I want them side by side, but the dates don't match.  I have date in axis, term in legend and headcount in value fields for the chart.   I also created a DAX function called datelastyear (subtracted 363 days from this years dates) but not sure how to use it in the graph if I need it.  HELP!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Do you have a date lookup/dimension table?

If so, you could create a column called semester_day  which had a number 1 to 365 starting on the first day of the semester, you could also have the same for semester_week 1 to 52.

You could then use semster_day (or week) as the X axis, headcount for the value and semester year as the legend.

If you added a weekday column (just containing the name of the day) as well you could do analsyis comparing the days of the week to see which had the highest headcount 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So, you should be able to replace Date with DateLastYear for this year's data in the x-axis and then the dates should match, right?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Do you have a date lookup/dimension table?

If so, you could create a column called semester_day  which had a number 1 to 365 starting on the first day of the semester, you could also have the same for semester_week 1 to 52.

You could then use semster_day (or week) as the X axis, headcount for the value and semester year as the legend.

If you added a weekday column (just containing the name of the day) as well you could do analsyis comparing the days of the week to see which had the highest headcount 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.