Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

johnmelbourne
Helper V
Helper V

Compare same quarter last year

I have data at different granularity level and want to compare quarter on quarter.

2019 is in quarter format and has a date of 30/6, 30/8 etc.

2020 is monthly.

I have attached the pbix here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CuUzMfmgL7YQU6B5puTx_q0aVy287puk/view?usp=sharing

The erroring measure is the issue. I think I have the current (max) year measure correct.

Quarter value (CY) =
CALCULATE (
// Calculate
[QTR (sum value)],
// the sum of all values in the Val column of the Data table
FILTER (
'Calendar',
'Calendar'[Year] = [Max Year]
))

Measure 1 error code:

Measure 1 =
CALCULATE (
// Calculate
[QTR (sum value)],
// the sum of all values in the Val column of the Data table
FILTER (
'Calendar', 'Calendar'[Year]),
'Calendar'[Year] = [Max Year - 1]
)

Any assistance greatly appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@johnmelbourne , In case you have a date. You can use time intelligence with date table

QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(('Date'[Date])))
Last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER)))

Last complete QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD( ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER))))
Last to last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-2,QUARTER)))
Next QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],1,QUARTER)))
Last year same QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)))
Last year same QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year))))

If you do not have a date, the create a qtr table and use Rank on the qtr  start date or YYYYQ , for a solution like below

Columns

Qtr Start Date = DATEADD(STARTOFYEAR('Date'[Date],"4/30"),QUOTIENT(DATEDIFF('Date'[Start Of Year], 'Date'[Date],MONTH),3)*3,MONTH)
Qtr Month No = DATEDIFF('Date'[Qtr Start Date],'Date'[Date],MONTH)+1Qtr Rank = RANKX(all('Date'),'Date'[Qtr Start date],,ASC,Dense)

Measures
This Qtr = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Qtr Rank]=max('Date'[Qtr Rank])))
Last Qtr = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Qtr Rank]=max('Date'[Qtr Rank])-1))

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :radacad sqlbi My Video Series Appreciate your Kudos.

Please provide your feedback comments and advice for new videos
Tutorial Series Dax Vs SQL Direct Query PBI Tips
Appreciate your Kudos.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@johnmelbourne , In case you have a date. You can use time intelligence with date table

QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(('Date'[Date])))
Last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER)))

Last complete QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD( ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER))))
Last to last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-2,QUARTER)))
Next QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],1,QUARTER)))
Last year same QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)))
Last year same QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year))))

If you do not have a date, the create a qtr table and use Rank on the qtr  start date or YYYYQ , for a solution like below

Columns

Qtr Start Date = DATEADD(STARTOFYEAR('Date'[Date],"4/30"),QUOTIENT(DATEDIFF('Date'[Start Of Year], 'Date'[Date],MONTH),3)*3,MONTH)
Qtr Month No = DATEDIFF('Date'[Qtr Start Date],'Date'[Date],MONTH)+1Qtr Rank = RANKX(all('Date'),'Date'[Qtr Start date],,ASC,Dense)

Measures
This Qtr = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Qtr Rank]=max('Date'[Qtr Rank])))
Last Qtr = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Qtr Rank]=max('Date'[Qtr Rank])-1))

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :radacad sqlbi My Video Series Appreciate your Kudos.

Please provide your feedback comments and advice for new videos
Tutorial Series Dax Vs SQL Direct Query PBI Tips
Appreciate your Kudos.

Thnak you so much. They are patterns I will be re-using over and over!

John

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.