Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

spmvoss
Regular Visitor

Compare logged hours to planned hours

I am trying to show a visual that shows actual logged hours per project vs the planned hours. I have two tables, one is an export from the time logging software.

Project IDMain ProjectWork PackageDateEmployerHours
1Project 1WP 101-01-2020emp12
2Project 1WP 201-01-2020emp14
2Project 1WP 201-01-2020emp25
1Project 1WP 102-01-2020emp14
3Project 2WP 102-01-2020emp23

and another table that functions as the projects database

Project IDMain ProjectWork PackagePlanned HoursDuration (weeks)
1Project 1WP 12512
2Project 1WP 23012
3Project 2WP 1409
4Project 2WP 2309

Now for the visual I have selected the Hours and Work Package column from the first table. The user can select the main project from a selector. This works as expected and shows a bar graph with the hours per Work Package.

If I select the Planned Hours and Work Package from the other table it also does what expected, it shows a bar graph with the expected values from the project database table.

However, when I try to add the Planned Hours to the first visual, it just sums up all the hours by Main Project, instead of also grouping it by Work Package. I cannot figure out how to make this work. Does anyone have any recommendations?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for your reply!

I realised I actually already had a key column like that, the project ID, since they were unique. So I wasn't sure what you meant by joining them first but then decided to check the model view and noticed there was no relationship between the two tables.

Simply dragging between the project ID labels between the two tabels and setting the direction to both solved the problem and functionality is exactly as expected now!

Thanks so much for your input

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@spmvoss 

If the second table is the master table

Then in both table create a new column

Key = [Main Project] & "-"& [Work Package]

And join them.

Else create a new dimension table  with same key and join them

Dimension table

distinct(
union(	
selectcolumn(Table1,"Project ID",Table1[Project ID],"Main Project",Table1[Main Project],"Work Package",Table1[Work Package],"key",Table1[Main Project] & "-"& Table1[Work Package]),

selectcolumn(Table2,"Project ID",Table2[Project ID],"Main Project",Table2[Main Project],"Work Package",Table2[Work Package],"key",Table2[Main Project] & "-"& Table2[Work Package])))

Thank you for your reply!

I realised I actually already had a key column like that, the project ID, since they were unique. So I wasn't sure what you meant by joining them first but then decided to check the model view and noticed there was no relationship between the two tables.

Simply dragging between the project ID labels between the two tabels and setting the direction to both solved the problem and functionality is exactly as expected now!

Thanks so much for your input

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.