Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Andwu
Helper I
Helper I

Compare growth for own products to competitor categories by brand

Hi, I want to build a report in PBI, that shows me the following growth information in a table:

* Country

* Brand

* Growths %

* Growths % Market

My base data model looks as follows:

FactSales

* Date

* Country

* Brand

* Category

* Corporation

* Sales

* Sales Prev Year (calculated via Time Intelligence)

* Growths % (Sales / Sales Prev Year) - 1

* Growths % for my company (Calculate(Growths %, Corporation = "MyCompany"))

* Growths % competitors (this is what is not working properly)

DimDate

* Date

DimBrand

* Country

* Brand

* Brand Subcategory

* Category

The relationships as defined bidrectional, and DimBrand and FactTable are joined via a concatenated key for Country / Brand to ensure a one-to-many relationship.

The brands of my competitors are of couse not the same as my brands, I do want to compare my growth against my competitors based on the category. However, the categories are not consistently defined. Let's assume I'm a car manufacturer and I produce a sedan with the brand name 'Elite' and category Small Cars. The category of my competitors however is Medium Size Cars. This may even vary in each country. Thus I thought to create a Brand Dimension, where I define for each Brand in each Country the Competitor Category and apply this as a filter, so that my DAX formula should look similar to the following statement:

Growths % competitors = CALCULATE( Growths %, ALL (DimBrand.BrandSubcategory), FactTable[Category] = DimBrand[Category]) 

But this doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Andwu,

Sorry for slow response, you can try below measure if it suitable for your requirement:

Growth % Competitors = CALCULATE( [Growth %], ALL(DimBrand[Brand Subcategory]),VALUES(DimBrand[Category]))

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Andwu,

According to your description, I build a sample , perhaps you can refer to it:

Tables:

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

Calculate columns:

Sales Year = SUMX(FILTER(ALL(FactSales),AND([Date].[Year]=EARLIER(FactSales[Date].[Year]),[Country]=EARLIER([Country])&&[Category]=EARLIER([Category])&&[Corporation]=EARLIER([Corporation]))),[Sales])

Sales Prev Year = SUMX(FILTER(ALL(FactSales),AND([Date].[Year]=EARLIER(FactSales[Date].[Year])-1,[Country]=EARLIER([Country])&&[Category]=EARLIER([Category])&&[Corporation]=EARLIER([Corporation]))),[Sales])

Growths % = DIVIDE(FactSales[Sales Year] , [Sales Prev Year],1) - 1

Growths % for my company = if([Corporation]="MyCompany",[Growths %],BLANK())

Growths % competitors = [Growths % for my company]-SUMX(FILTER(all(FactSales),[Category]=EARLIER([Category])&&[Corporation]<>"MyCompany"&&[Date].[Year]=EARLIER([Date].[Year])),[Growths %])

Capture4.PNG

If above is not help, please provide some detail information about this.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I can see you have gone to quite some effort - thanks.  Can you just post the workbook?  Just use dropbox or onedrive or something.  This will make it a lot easier.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hi @MattAllington, @v-shex-msft,

thanks for the comments and the mockup. It provides me some good explaination of the earlier function.

I created an additional mockup for my scenario. As mentioned, my idea is to apply the category from DimBrand as Filter on Category on FactSales, as the categories of my competitors are not the same as mine.

The formula is highlighted, as it is not working as expected.

Link to the Mockup> Mockup Growths Calculation

Thanks

Hi @Andwu,

Sorry for slow response, you can try below measure if it suitable for your requirement:

Growth % Competitors = CALCULATE( [Growth %], ALL(DimBrand[Brand Subcategory]),VALUES(DimBrand[Category]))

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Thanks, this was it.

Try this

Growths % competitors = CALCULATE( Growths %, ALL (Brand), Values( DimBrand[Category]))

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hi Matt,

I tried the formula, but as soon as I add Values(DimBrand[Category]), it seems as ALL(Brand) is ignored. I have adjusted my original post, because the reason is maybe that the data model is even more complex.

Best

@Andwu wrote:

I tried the formula, but as soon as I add Values(DimBrand[Category]), it seems as ALL(Brand) is ignored. 

Yes, that is what I would expect.  it is always difficult to help without seeing the data model and the visual you are trying to build.  The formula depends on both.  The visual "adds" filtering to your data model. The formula you write needs to "remove" the filtering you don't need.  

Your growth % formula operates in your own company. You need to remove the company filter but keep the category filter. That's what I thought my suggestion would do.  At e you can work it out from this info. Otherwise please post a sample workbook I can take a look at. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.