Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Brookied
Helper I
Helper I

Compare difference between two tables.

Hi Experts, 

I am in need of some dax help in relation to the below.  In short i need to capture where contacts opt 'OUT' of Email/Phone/SMS/Mail  for tracking reasons where they were previosuly optied 'In'. 

I have two tables.  1st is a pre loaded static table i import into PowerBI. this is my base level

Pre-Campaign status Table name = Pre Campaign Consents

NameMediumOpted
BrianEmailIn
BrianMailOut
BrianSMSIn
BrianPhoneIn

2nd is the live in progress updates to the above. so i need to recird changes. where the 'Opted" value will possibly change  or remain unchanged. 

Post Campaign changes  - Table name = Consents

NameMediumOpted
BrianEmailOut
BrianMailOut
BrianSMSIn
BrianPhoneOut

The 'Pre Campaign Consents' & 'Consents' tables are realted by Donor ID as a unique Key

I want to capture where Brian was opted 'In' for Email and Phone  but has not Opted 'Out'

Possible Result visual

NameMediumPre Campaign ValueNew Opted Value
BrianEmailInOut
BrianPhoneInOut

I am not interested in where a contact has opted 'IN' to a medium or if remained unchanged i just need to tracked the change where a contact was opted into Email/Phone/SMS/Post and has opted out for any of these mediums. 

Can provide any screen shots needed etc.. 

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The proper way would be to create a data model with Name and Medium dimension tables that would then control the two fact tables. But a simpler option would be to take advantage of the merging functions in Power Query that allow you to link tables by more than one column.

Pre Contents table:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcirKTMxT0lFyzU3MzAHSnnlKsToIYV+IqH9pCYpwsG8wptqAjPy8VKhwLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Name = _t, Medium = _t, Opted = _t])
in
    Source

Contents table:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcirKTMxT0lFyzU3MzAHS/qUlSrE6CHFf7MLBvsFA0jMPRTAgIz8vFaY4FgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Name = _t, Medium = _t, Opted = _t]),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(Source, {"Name", "Medium"}, #"Pre Consents", {"Name", "Medium"}, "Pre Consents", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Pre Consents" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Pre Consents", {"Opted"}, {"Opted.1"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded Pre Consents",{{"Opted.1", "Pre"}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Concern", each if [Pre]="In" and [Opted] = "Out" then 1 else 0),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom", each ([Concern] = 1))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

when are tables with different columns and a column the same as the merge would do?

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Brookied ,

If you just want a table visual, you could create a relationship between thest two tables.

4.PNG

Then create a measure as below and add it to visual level filter.

5.PNG

If you want a new table, you could use merge queries feature in Query Editor to create a new table and create a custom colum.

6.PNG

7.PNG

Then filter the custom = 1 and remove the custom column.

8.PNG

9.PNG

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You need to do a merge, not an append.  (Bit of an academic discussion as internally Power Query does not care).

You said your data source is XML  which is a hierarchical data structure. But your screenshots are already flattened out. Please elaborate.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The proper way would be to create a data model with Name and Medium dimension tables that would then control the two fact tables. But a simpler option would be to take advantage of the merging functions in Power Query that allow you to link tables by more than one column.

Pre Contents table:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcirKTMxT0lFyzU3MzAHSnnlKsToIYV+IqH9pCYpwsG8wptqAjPy8VKhwLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Name = _t, Medium = _t, Opted = _t])
in
    Source

Contents table:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcirKTMxT0lFyzU3MzAHS/qUlSrE6CHFf7MLBvsFA0jMPRTAgIz8vFaY4FgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Name = _t, Medium = _t, Opted = _t]),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(Source, {"Name", "Medium"}, #"Pre Consents", {"Name", "Medium"}, "Pre Consents", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Pre Consents" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Pre Consents", {"Opted"}, {"Opted.1"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded Pre Consents",{{"Opted.1", "Pre"}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Concern", each if [Pre]="In" and [Opted] = "Out" then 1 else 0),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom", each ([Concern] = 1))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Hi Stumbling along here so decided to post the tables to see if that makes things simpler to figure out. 

Below is my "Pre-Consent" table

Brookied_0-1614861166182.png

Below is the "Consents" table -  these are realted by "Given By"

Brookied_1-1614861326397.png

Thinking about it i would like to "Append"  new Consents given to the 'Pre Consents' table in new columns. These would be  Given By, Medium, Opted.   When i do this it just adds new rows and i get a multiplcation of information. What i want  is to add new Columns where the name matches and medium matches with new Opted values. 

So the "Pre-Consents" table with be added with the new columns from 'Consents' Table where it pulls in updated preferences. 

Brookied_0-1614883898380.png

The above should allow me to report on where someone was Opted IN  to a Medium but now Opted OUT.

Many Thanks

Morning, Many thanks for the above, if my queries is built from XML can the above be added ?   Sorry for stupid question but never attempted this before. 

Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.