Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Compare columns in two different tables, provide specific name for not matching records

Hi all,

I will simplfy this and cut out all the extra data around it, essentially I have two tables

Name

• id
  • name

Which contains everyone. 

and

Region

• id 
  • region

Region only contains ids of those with a specificed region. 

What I want to do is compare the two id fields, and where there's no matching id for the 'region' (but still a record in the name table) I want there to be a line added to the Region table with the missing ID and the region set as 'Undefined'.

I have tried with an IF statement, but even though the logic feels like it should be relatively straightforward (If the 'id' fields don't match then 'Undefined' otherwise [region]), I am struggling to get something working. 

It may be that I need to revisit the data export and see if I can include ids with blanks for the undefined regions to allow for an easier matching process (as currently it would require inserting both the missing ID and 'Undefined' columns). 

2 REPLIES 2
goncalogeraldes
Super User
Super User

Hello there @Anonymous ! As you have correctly said, go back to the original data export and keep the NULL/BLANKS and then use a calculated column with the following:

New_Region_Column =
IF (
    Name[id] IN DISTINCT ( Region[id] ),
    SELECTEDVALUE(Region[Region]),
    "Undefined"
)

Hope this answer solves your problem!
If you need any additional help please @ me in your reply.
If my reply provided you with a solution, please consider marking it as a solution ✔️ or giving it a kudoe 👍
Thanks!

You can also check out my LinkedIn!

Best regards,
Gonçalo Geraldes

Anonymous
Not applicable

@goncalogeraldes Thank you - I will have to review how the data is currently exported and stored, it isn't a case of me deleting blank records, it typically only exports the records with data.

Once I've solved that I can give the calculated column you suggest a try!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.