Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Stefan036

Compare and visualize several means

hi,

i've got survey data with different questions. Now i want to get several means of these questions on a chart.

if i put the items on a bar chart, then there is no space between the bars. and i can't use another visualization, a line chart won't work.

so i created a second data table in excel with the means of the question data to put them on a line chart.

question: is there the possibility to create a second data table in power bi with the means of my questions and connect it to the original one? so i can also use slicers based on factors of the first data set.

of course any other solution is appreciated.

looking forward for some help 🙂

image3image3image1image1image2image2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Stefan036 , you should unpivot your data in Query Editor first.  Instead of having five different questions in five different columns, you should have 2 columns...Question and Answer.  Then you can create a horizontal bar chart with the spacing you desire.  The "Question" column becomes the dimension and the answer column is the number that gets aggregated (in your case, as the average)

I recommend horizontal bar chart to a vertical column chart because the questions will be easier to read if the text is horizontal.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
holydragon
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I'm not clear on what you are searching for; however, I've plotted a distribution and showed it mean before.  My recommedation would be to go the marketplace and use the custom app for a bar and whisker plot.  There are several of them.  They do the statistics automatically so there is no need for an additional table.

Capture.JPG

Regards,

HD

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Stefan036 , you should unpivot your data in Query Editor first.  Instead of having five different questions in five different columns, you should have 2 columns...Question and Answer.  Then you can create a horizontal bar chart with the spacing you desire.  The "Question" column becomes the dimension and the answer column is the number that gets aggregated (in your case, as the average)

I recommend horizontal bar chart to a vertical column chart because the questions will be easier to read if the text is horizontal.

thank you so much!

this is the way its done. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.