Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Josh_BI_UK
Helper II
Helper II

Compare Two Tables - Repeat Rows in Table A for each Name in Table B

Hi PWR BI Family ,

I would like to create a report for managers, so that they can check which staff have missing timesheets.

I would like to know for every [WeekStart] in my WeekStartDatesTbl; if a staff member has submitted their timesheet or not.

I have three tables to start with and I would like to create a fourth.

Find the data and tables here: PWRBI_missingtimesheets.pbix

Starting tables: 

Table A: WeekStartDatesTbl

Table B: StaffNamesTbl

Table C: TimesheetsTbl

Current TablesCurrent Tables

I would like hard data (i.e. not the output of a formula). I would prefer that the solution leverage PowerQuery and create a new table (Table 😧 MissingTimesheetsTbl. However if my PWR BI Family ❤ thinks otherwise; no worries, I’ll go with a DAX solution.

I envision a table as follows:

StaffMemberName column: a list of staff names (derived from the staff table) in column A.

Week Start Dates: Week start dates in column B (dates start on Monday, and would be repeated for each staff member)

TimesheetSubmittedYN column: a look up against the Timesheet table, which checks if for Staff member (e.g. Jo Name) a row exists for the corresponding week start date. If a timesheet exist, out "Yes", if no timesheet exist out "No", if the date is in the future i.e. date greater than now() + 7 days out put "Pending"

TimesheetID Column: the ID number of the timesheet from the timesheet table, if none exist output “Missing Sheet”; if the date is in the future i.e. date greater than now() + 7 days output "Pending".

I would like to create Table D: MissingTimesheetsTblI would like to create Table 😧 MissingTimesheetsTbl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

I had a little play around with this.

I created a new table

AllWeeksAllStaff = CROSSJOIN(WeekStartDatesTbl, StaffNamesTbl)
That gives you all the possible staff timesheets. You then have to link up with the existing
timesheet table to find which rows don't have data.
I created a unique key
DateName = FORMAT('AllWeeksAllStaff'[WeekStart], "YYYYMMDD") & 'AllWeeksAllStaff'[Staff_FullName]
and also a similar one in the existing timesheets table
DateName = FORMAT(TimesheetsTbl[WeekCommencing],  "YYYYMMDD") & TimesheetsTbl[StaffMemberName]
You then create a relationship between them, on this field.
You can then construct a table visualisation with all the timesheet dates, staff, and
timesheet ID. Missing ID's will show where there is no timesheet

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

I had a little play around with this.

I created a new table

AllWeeksAllStaff = CROSSJOIN(WeekStartDatesTbl, StaffNamesTbl)
That gives you all the possible staff timesheets. You then have to link up with the existing
timesheet table to find which rows don't have data.
I created a unique key
DateName = FORMAT('AllWeeksAllStaff'[WeekStart], "YYYYMMDD") & 'AllWeeksAllStaff'[Staff_FullName]
and also a similar one in the existing timesheets table
DateName = FORMAT(TimesheetsTbl[WeekCommencing],  "YYYYMMDD") & TimesheetsTbl[StaffMemberName]
You then create a relationship between them, on this field.
You can then construct a table visualisation with all the timesheet dates, staff, and
timesheet ID. Missing ID's will show where there is no timesheet

This is a good solution @HotChilli  thank you. Could I possibly leave this problem open in favour of a PowerQuery solution. I would really like the cross joined table to be created at run time as physical table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.