Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

stefanperson
Regular Visitor

Compare / Analyse data - slicers to different objects

In excel it is possible to connect slicers to different objects

That function makes it possible to compare data for example two projects with each other

Possible workaround: I can duplicate the model

or duplicate  slicer and with dax dis connect measures a to achieve the same result in Power BI

I do not think that is a good solution does anybody have a better solution  

10 REPLIES 10
PowerBIGuy
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Currently slicers are associated with all visualizations on a page via relationships. The Only workarounds are going to be manual. You can use role playing dimensions Project 1 and Project 2 dimensions but you would have to create custom measures using the userelationship function to activate and de-activate the appropriate dim/slicer. I don't know if it gets better than that. 

Business Intelligence Architect / Consultant

Thank you all for the replies

If you've not spotted it already, the recent updates add the ability to control 'Visual Interactions' which lets you decide which slicers are attached to which visuals. Hope that helps!
GTR
Helper III
Helper III

My workaround might not be the best but I provide two separate report filters to the same data and apply them to a dashboard to compare them side by side. Although, having the "Filter/Report Connections" ability that Excel has in Power BI would defnitely increase productivity. 

see video https://youtu.be/aVr3uMLW1xk

The top slicer is connect t both pivot

The left bottom slicer is connect to the left pivot

The right bottom is connect to the right pivot

I'm not even sure what you are trying to do there from a business intelligence standpoint.  It looks like you have projects A, M and X, and you are trying to compare costs based on a timeframe. (R1 and R2)

Why do you have two slicers that contain the same values (projects A,M,X)?  

To compare the costs, just use the slicer on the timeframe, and graph the cost of both projects.  If you aren't trying to do that... what are you trying to do?

So the example was over simplified to show the principal what I want to do

I do understand that I can use other solution to compare data

But my question is: is it possible to connect slicer as in excel (Filter/Report Connections") as it can be useful in sometime

Yep,  @PowerBIGuy is right.  

Using Roleplaying dimensions is the best workaround here.  Sorry I wasn't able to help more.

ALeef
Advocate III
Advocate III

Can you give a little more examples, or data?

You can use report filtering, which will filter a report across multiple pages, but your data has to be set up properly and your model has to work with it.

Hi

Thank you for the reply

can I send you a small excel file as it is not possible to attached  a file

Best Regards

Stefan

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.