Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

simon-uk
Frequent Visitor

Compare 2 rows in 2 tables and find the number of differences

Hi

I am trying to compare the rows in 2 tables to return the number fo difference in a single row with the same key:

Table 1

Entity        Param 1   Param 2    Param 3   Param 4   Param 5    Param 6    Param 7 Param 8      Param 9 Param 10 Param 11

Test                 11            2            3          4             5           6            7          19            9          12          11

Table 2

Entity         Param 1  Param 2    Param 3    Param 4  Param 5    Param 6    Param 7   Param 8   Param 9   Param 10 Param 11

Test                 1           2    3    45678910  11

I would expect to return

Test = 4 differences (utlimately I would like to drill to those diefferneces)

Can anyone help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The unpivotting is done in the Query Editor and will be applied on every refresh of the data. This means Power BI will do;

1. retrieve the data in original format

2. Applies all steps as per Query Definition

3. Updates all visuals.

In step two is the unpivoting of the tables and will persist 🙂

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Kudo's are welcome 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Interesting question, I gave it a shot by doing the following;

I've created two tables with Entity and 5 Param columns:

Table1Table1

Table2 - Note Param1 en Param4Table2 - Note Param1 en Param4

Comparing these in current form is very difficult, so I unpivoted the Param-columns in both;

Tabel2 - Unpivoted and renamed columnsTabel2 - Unpivoted and renamed columnsTabel1 - Unpivoted and renamed columnsTabel1 - Unpivoted and renamed columns

Now, we can create a calculated column in one of the tables (I've chosen Table1) and entity by entity (in this case just 'Test') check whether the value corresponding with the Param(X) is the same in Table 2. The formula is:

IsNotTheSame = CALCULATE(COUNTA(Table1[ParamValue]), FILTER(Table2, Table2[Entity] = Table1[Entity] && Table2[Params] = Table1[Params] && Table2[ParamValue] <> Table1[ParamValue]))

Now, you can use this column in calculating how many discrepancies there are between Entities in Table1 and Table2:

image.png

Please mark this answer as Solution if this answered your question 🙂

Hi djerro123

Nice neat answer but......can I automate the unpivot and rename functions as my source data is in the 'pivotted' format?

Regards

Simon

The unpivotting is done in the Query Editor and will be applied on every refresh of the data. This means Power BI will do;

1. retrieve the data in original format

2. Applies all steps as per Query Definition

3. Updates all visuals.

In step two is the unpivoting of the tables and will persist 🙂

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Kudo's are welcome 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.