Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Common Filter(s) where Common ID's exist - Relationships

All - I have 2 Hiearachy tables that contain unique people and thier leaders with their own ID ('RP' and 'CC' tables). My fact table at the bottom ('FW') is linked to each of these by their own keys that are NOT the common link between the RP and CC tables that I want to use. The use case is that if a user were to select a manager in a slicer, that managers name may appear in either of the RP or CC Hierarchy tables and I'd like them to see all of the projects from the FW (fact) table that they would appear in the hierarchy.. again, from either tree.

I tried bridging the RP and CC tables directly with their common ID and that gave me an inactive relationship. I tried creating a 'bridge' table with distinct list of all possible ID's and then linked them in uni-directional  relationship and that gave me an inactive relationship. Question is, How do I get the relationship to be active so that at any time, if they select a manager, and that manager happens to appear in either hierarchy, the report will show all work that belongs to that manager regardless of which hierarchy the role up through?

I'm aware of the USERELATIONSHIP DAX function, but have never used it, and can't quite see how that would veen help here with a common filter slicer that I need. I'm thinking I may need to model my dimension tables differently somehow?

2020-08-27_11-59-14.png

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Would it instead be possible to create a UNION between these two tables? Worst case listing manglers twice, including from which source table the entry is.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A union requires exactly the same colum names and indexing, as with an append. It's an option, but then I have the issue of having 2 different keys to associate to my fact table... I'll give this some more thought. Thank you

You would think that, but Power Query is actually much more lenient. It lets you combine tables where not all of the columns match (even where none of them match). Give it a try, you'll be impressed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still the issue remains of needing to join the table on 2 seperate, distinctly seperate keys. And I'm back the same issue of only being allowed one active relationship between 2 tables.

Below is a super simpled-down version of what I need to do, and can get there, almost with a hack of using the Text Search visual. I don't like that though and want a single slicer for manager, that has search built in, which will eliminate 2! other slicers. It would seem that I could use a combination of SELECTEDVALUE, SEARCH and some sort of FILTER arrangement to make this happen. In my simple illustration below if I could simply place my SelectedValue measure INSIDE of the text filter visual, i would have a solution... 

Visual RepresentationVisual RepresentationData ModelData Model 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.