Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

prasa
Helper I
Helper I

Common Date slicer for multiple visuals

Can the same date slicer be applied on multiple table data on dashboard? For example, Table1 has CreatedDate and Table2 has WarrantyDate, can we create a page with two pie charts - Table1Pie and Table2Pie with the same Date slicer applied but that date filter should be applied on createdDate for Table1Pie and Warranty Date on Table2Pie. 

Is this possible or do we need to apply seperate slicers for each?

Thansk in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @prasa

@vega posted the answer. One more thing, we can't pin a slicer in the Dashboard (not a report)? You can pin the whole page as live page. Please vote up this idea.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
vega
Resolver III
Resolver III

I think the most common practice is to create a Date table that contains the dates that are in all of your tables. Usually, you want the Date table to start on January 1st of the oldest year in your data to December 31st of the highest year that you have in your tables. You do not want to have gaps in your Date table, I would use the CALENDAR function to create the Date table.

Once you have the Date table created, you can create a relationship between the Date table and CreatedDate, as well as, a relationship between the Date table and WarrantyDate. Once you have done this, you can use the Date table for your slicer and it will achieve your desired results.

@vega - I tried creating the relationships as you mentioned but then I getting the following error: "You can't create active relationship between ServiceDeskSurvey and Calendar because that would introduce ambiguity between tables Calendar and Incidents. To make this relationship active, deactivate or delete one of the relationship between Calendar and Incidents first."

I am trying to apply same date slicer for tables- ServiceDeskSurvey (CreatedDate) and Incidents (CreatedDate). And there is no existing relationship between these two tables. However, I am getting the above mentioned error while creating relationship between the calendar - date column and the two tables date fields. 

I believe that you are getting that error because you have a relationship between ServiceDeskSurvey and Incidents. You cannot have this relationship and then have a relationship between both and the date table. The reason is that there would be two different paths from Calendar and Incidents.

The first being Calendar -> Incidents

And the second being Calendar -> ServiceDeskSurvey -> Incidents

Power BI cannot handle this. There can only be one path to get from one table to another.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.